Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Practice Scrap Domain

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
pliang polycounter lvl 17
Hi, though I see a nice and extensive section for WIPs and old works, I considered making my own thread to post my own stuff so hopefully it would be easier for me and some people who are interested to look around more easily...

Anyways, here's my first one, I did a lot of work since a few months back back have not posted a lot of them...this is a Magal SMG and I made it with polygon and subdiv primitives but I was hoping besides C&C on the model, does anyone have a thorough article on subdivision modeling?

I have yet to really try it to see the potential of it.

Thanks guyz

Model1
Wire1

Shade2

Wire2

Replies

• Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, might want to post better and bigger images, front/side/back in wire and flatshaded, polycounts, stuff like that. The perspective on most of the images makes it hard to see what's going on, from what I can see it looks like a nice model, though there might be a few smoothing issues.

Not trying to be picky or anything, it's just that showcasing your models better will get you more/better crits. smile.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I will get that posted sometime tommorow...I also should tone down the thickness of the wires on that too, it just that I modeled this for practice so not doing too much on it atm.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gear

This is my attampt at High Dynamic Range render using Mental Ray and Final Gather with Raytrace and I seem to like it though the shadow fall off seems blurred.

Screwed

Another one...it was actually my first test...but it looks so blurred and washed out, I did this in Maya 8 but rendering just seemed to mess up. My output window also mentioned that "Texture Sampler Missing" as a warning, anyone have this issue before?

Thanks
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gear

This is my attampt at High Dynamic Range render using Mental Ray and Final Gather with Raytrace and I seem to like it though the shadow fall off seems blurred.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The blur shadow actually looks pretty good to me. That's exactly the kind of shadow you get with big, non-directional light source.
    By the way, with such high quality render (all those MR GI FG) you really should consider smoothing your model out even more. I can still see the jaggedness of your model.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that on my future renders...I left it at only several thousand while IO might as upres'd it.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well actually I think the persp isn't tthat hard to make out what's in there...but you're right I will slap in some closer persp shots since not everyone knows what this gun is...

Answering the second part, the polycount was "9142" tris for the whole thing.

I also heard that its possible to make a normal map out of a model like guns by using subdiv method and then using smooth proxy for a higer resolution model. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on how I may acheive that ??? Then perhaps I can bring that into this model.

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrontPersp

BackStock

OtherSide

Here is a few more shot of the gun including a few closeups...as some can prolly see the gun is kind of wasted on the loops such as on the grip etc but anyone who can tell me how to fix and subdivide this to make a normal map out of it I'd really appreciate it.