Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Props for a fantasy MOD(updated 6/01)

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
This is for a unreal fantasy MOD a friend and i are bringing back to life, included is a dragon that is near complete, and a fortress static mesh, opinions and crits appreciated

The mesh

dragon3hd5.jpg

In game

dragon1al0.jpg

dragon2kq0.jpg

Fortress

fortress1ux0.jpg

fortress1wu9.jpg

-Buddikaman-

Replies

• animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    the dragon is pretty cool, but really off balance. not sure what you can do to change that, or if it's too late, but balance is pretty important to making these look a bit more believable.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like an ambitious project. Another point to add about the dragon, is that I don't think you can get away with a tiling texture for a statue. You really need to properly unwrap the thing and add some specific form, detail and perhaps occlusion to its texture.

I'd also stay away from using the same textures on the floor as you've used on the walls there If I were you. They have a strong directional light source which looks pretty weird on the ground. You might also want to spend more time ensuring that the patterns make a bit more sense for the geometry they're mapped to. The most egregious example of where you haven't done that being the main wall with the weird thin sliver of brick on the top of it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    to bring balance to the dragon, give him a tail...
  • ryuju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you have a link to your site, i would love to check out your progress looks like a very cool mod.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why don t u guys aim for unreal 3 specs if u think ur up for it?

on another note, amazing looking project, id like to see a website or blog aswell!!!

looking forward to updates on this thread
    cheers
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    The dragon seems to be more detailed than the player models, which is strange.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the replys, right now im trying to redo the character models in the game as they are outdated. Ive had a busy week working, but have been working on the game in my free time drawing concept art for the new class models, here is an update for the warrior, its about 75% complete with the least amount of work in the arms, it uses the juggernaut UT biped instead of the normal human one to make the warrior seem larger than life, i wanted to start from scratch on him but instead used an older model i made and modified it just because of time constraints, this is also a learning experience for me and i could use the practice, but i have alot to do and time is my enemy.

warrior1ca0.jpg

warrior2jb7.jpg

Older model

knightmalecj3.jpg

-Buddikaman-
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    With your dragon statue, you might be better to build Have his legs, tail and lower body built around a solid base, a bit like this:
    glowdragon.jpg
    It'd look more plausible with less danger of the thing simply breaking in half under its own wieght and you'd be ablk=e to keep that looming-over-the-player feel.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work so far. I think the dragon has some cool features in the model. I'm with Daz on using a tiling texture. I'd suggest giving him unique UVs and then adding dirt, wear, and shadows.

The new player model you're working on has some nice volume. I think the helmet and shoulder pads has a cool dynamic to it. I might suggest even pushing the top heavy feel even omre, but thinning his legs a bit and narrowing his waist more.

Good luck on the mod!

poop.gif
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright after a bit of tweaking i think im nearing completion on this guy. FYI there are two teams, basically a good and a bad, this is the warrior for the bad team, trying to go for a dark viking look, opinions appreciated, thanks.

Model

warrior1jd7.jpg

warrior2hi8.jpg

Silloutte

warriorsilloig1.jpg

-Buddikaman-
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gave the dragon a tail for good measure and tweaked him slightly.

dragon03js6.jpg
    -Buddikaman-
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey man, cool stuff, nice that you got it working in game. 2 things that stand out right away on the dragon-- he's got pinched elbows, creating a sausage arm look, huge popeye forearms and big baloon biceps. in fact over all, a lot of the shapes on him look inflated, which i think is killing the look.
    it's debatable as to whether or not that texture is actually making the model worse. do you have any room at all for location specific detail, like cracks that make sense, or grunge? that would make it quite nice.

oh, and the deltoids on the dragon as well. again, too baloony. which is a word, i think.

hm.. and i think his head looks too big. he'd have a DAMN sore neck. he'd look a lot more menacing with a tiny head anyway, imo it creates a more.. er... dangerous feeling.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the suggestions on the dragon, i do plan on re-texturing him as well.

-Buddikaman-
  • Sinistar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinistar polycounter lvl 17
    Hey the mod looks like it's coming along nicely.
    I'm liking the design of the dragon so far. smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Texture this stuff so we can talk about how good you are.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18