Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Finished the first part of my anatomy study.

Grim
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Grim polycounter lvl 17
I finished the Freedom of Teach dvd and this is what I ended up with. I can't say enough about how much this DVD taught me. I plan to use this as a base mesh for ZBrush sculpting. Let me know what you all think.

HumanHead.jpg

Human2.jpg

Human1.jpg

HandMuscle.jpg

FootMuscle.jpg

Replies

• Bhrazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bhrazz polycounter lvl 17
    You sure can give a good try with that model and Zbrush but I suggest you first give your self a real anatomy study. The model you have need some tweak.

At first sight I can say your Jaw Bones are to foward.
    your mesh need to be closed, where your eyes are, is wide open, applying a smooth on that will result a big hole.
    The feet from back view look odd, that is because you missed the main landmark, wich will be the tendons and ankle more apparent.

Is just a little mistake here and here that make the anatomy look a bit odd, but you still can improve that model to a next level.

http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/

Here are the Loomis book, they helped me more than any DVD from gnomon or CA. Make sure you read carefully ''Figure Drawing for all its worth'' page 51 you will find a bunch of answer!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Please post pictures with a wireframe overlay (with quads) instead of those flatshaded ones.
    Otherwise it is really hard to point out ways to improve the topology.

Oh and give him at least a equally sized bulge where his private parts are smile.gif

P.S.: No expert on Zbrushing, but I think you already go too much detail in that mesh for useing it as a nice base mesh.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like you have a lot of tris and ngons (more than four edges per a polygon)
    these won't work well in a sculpting-program
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Back in the days we HAD to polymodel muscles and body landmarks. There's rarely any reason for it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. Tareq, the author of the DVD in question happens to be a friend of mine, and I'm sure that he himself would admit that that particularly methodology is outdated now. That model took him literally more than a year to create in his spare time.
    But furthermore, in a way you are strangely mixing two different techniques. Sculpting out the muscle groups like that is really not the way to go If you intend to take this into a geometry sculpting app. You're far far better off creating a lower resolution base that is more relaxed with a more uniform polygonal distribution, and using the sculpting tools to pull out the form.
  • Grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grim polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for all the crits guys its helps me a lot. I have tried to sculpt from a uniform mesh in the past and the problem I keep running into is there is not enough polygons in the areas I need them, then I run into the limits of my computer. Every time I try to break a mesh apart and sculpt the individual pieces my normal maps all have lines between each piece. I chose to do this dvd tutorial so I could learn ways to define the muscle groups...for me it seems simpler since the polyflow is already laid out...I know this is something I need to get past and hope to in the near future. When I finish with this I will atempt to model the human form from a uniform mesh again and see what I can come up with. Thanks again guys for the feedback.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I find that a good way to have enough polys in mudbox is to turbosmooth my base model before I export to obj. Its far easier and gives a good even distrobution. What spec PC do you have? I can get up to 6 sub divs on my p4 3.0 with a gig of ram without issue.... But then I do do things a limb at a time for eg.
  • Grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grim polycounter lvl 17
    Xaltar: I was using a p4 3.2ghz with 2 gigs of ram but zbrush would crash when compacting memory around a million polygons for some reason sometimes less, but I had no other issues with other apss so who knows...

Per128: Adding polies where I need them is one of my bigest problems a lot of the time Im not sure where I need them until after I start sculpting which creates other issues. thanks for the anatomy crits on my model they will help me a lot. My anatomy study started with learning from 3 books and doing figure drawingfor about 3-4 months...I only did the DVD to learn methods of SDS modeling of organic forms to be honest...the zbrushing part was just to make the musclegroups pop with just a few levels of smoothing and some refinement.

thanks again guys for the tips and crits it helps a lot.