Home General Discussion

Mass Effect

is looking awesome!! im sorry if this has been posted before, but after seeing the gameplay vid, i couldn't wait to search it before i blurted out that the thing looks wicked cool!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF44HUNntRQ

ARGH! WIckEd Co0L!!

sorry

PS: I believe good old Tim "spacemonkey" Appleby is working on this? if yes [i have a crappy memory] then: oooooooooooh! wow!

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, the game looks amazing. I'm glad Bioware waited to make it on 360. It was originally being developed on the original Xbox.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I'm also glad they delayed it to september, not sure of the reasons but hell, I want this game to be the best it can be cause I know damn well my life will be lost once I start playing that game.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Yum that looks delicious. The alien in orange looks particularly awesome. This is probably the most solid next gen character models I've seen yet.

poop.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    awesome looking ! the main guy looks a tad too generic , but i guess all marines/soldiers like characters are. The voice acting could be better to. But DAMN awesome :|
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Nice!!

But that human guy in the intro... He should blink his eyes *during* the eye movement! Not befooooore!

I know it's not much but it breaks it for me. But! The orange alien is indeed very cool and stylish, just like the chick's suit. Simple designs wooo!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    If I can afford a 360 at some point (ie. get a job), this is definitely on my list of games to get.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah this game looks nice. I'm not too fond of squad micromanagement (it'd be better, for me anyway, if it were a simple command like, "TAKE COVER!!" and when your mates are behind cover you get a whole new slew of commands like, "LAY DOWN COVER FIRE!"
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    this is one of my top 3 anticipated games this year.

the lead char probably looks generic to you because he will be completely customizable or so I've read (create a char)
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I've been waiting for this for a long time, really looking forward to it smile.gif. I actually like the lead character, understaded in terms of asthetic but instantly recognisable and well executed. I like the retro-futuristic suit the chick wears, very cool. Great stuff
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    FYI: I just picked up the latest Hardcore Gamer magazine and they have Mass Effect as the cover story. Unfortunately there’s only a couple of new images but the article was great and extremely in depth.

Marcus

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    the prequel novel is out now in paperback also. written by the author who wrote the game's story.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now that im not pressed for time... i can fully say what i thought about that vid: Alien guy was looking awesome, and sounding awesome, and i also thought he was the most solid character i'd seen [i'd like to see his cold-heartedness [rationalist outlook] throughout the game...]. I'm sensing that 'influence' over ur party will also be important in this game?
    The d-pad usage for the talking sequences is uber-cool! I'd bought KotoR only to get bored by reading crap-loads of text.
    I just hope that the 'fully customizable character' doesn't have to be human [id rather be that alien guy lol]
    funilly, that's all that i can think of... other than that WOAooooooooowwwwW!
    peace!
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    You're playing the first-ever human Specter agent, so I'd imagine you have to be human.

Frank the Avenger
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks pretty cool, but the 2nd gameplay vid is pretty disappointing to be honest. They made all sorts of expectations with the "influence the story" and "explore the world" things in the intro. The exploring involves clicking a planet and the mission is like a rollercoaster ride, nuff said. I'm sorry to interrupt all the joyfull feelings with a tad of pessimism, but hey...somebody has to do it
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    observe as i resurrect an ancient thread!
    for good purpose though!

if u head over to masseffect.com, u'll find that they've put up a Podcast which answers some [many] of the community's questions.... i downloaded all 3 parts, and am now hyped more than ever!

i can't wait to see the achievement lists so that i can plan and 'hit the ground running' so to speak [yes i have no life frown.gif]
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamespot and gametrailers also uploaded their live demonstration at PAX.
    Good stuff, I'm super stoked smile.gif
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea its looking great, I've been waiting for it for so long now. The Krogans are awesome, I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

I dont like how what you choose to say isnt what he actually says in Mass Effect. I enjoyed picking smart-ass comments in KOTOR and now you dont know what your gonna get. I also hope the interaction with alein life forms is as deep and varying as in kotor, I loved traveling to cantinas on distant planets and chatting with the locals. But there is like a hundred things this will have over KOTOR in the end so I'm definatley gonna have to give it a go.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Once they announce the PC version, I'll be totally stoked smile.gif And there will be a PC version, no matter how much they pull this "it's exclusive! Really!" crap.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    I'm geeking it out and reading the prequel novel. Can't wait for this game! cool.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'd be reading the novel too if I wasn't in the middle of the dark tower series.. I'm looking forward to this game A LOT.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the GameTrailers.com PAX demo part 1, part 2, part 3.

really want this game. smile.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I'm really excited for this game, but I wish they could squeeze a few more frames out of it and turn on self shadowing for the characters during cinematics. Even if it was just on the characters' heads. Spacemonkey! GET ON IT!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Game looks great and all, but damn, the story and visuals seem so banal. Bioshock must have spoiled me.
    That and the gameplay animations are pretty lifeless.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Not bad, I personally would make the squad mode more manageable, seems like a handful.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Hopefully they improve the framerate before it ships =\
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Game looks great and all, but damn, the story and visuals seem so banal. Bioshock must have spoiled me.
    That and the gameplay animations are pretty lifeless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind this is pretty old footage. If you watch some of the latest stuff from the 1up show, the entire interface has received a revamp, and the squad controls much more intuitively.

As for the style, : D Man, I fucking love Bioshock, but Mass Effect's retro style I can dig. Oddly enough though, what I'm looking forward to the most is hearing the final musical score. More style than a cactus wearing a top hat!

Though from this video, you do have a good point about the animation. The E3 trailer looked better, so let's hope it just continues to improve.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eep! i didn't see that walkthrough! must watch now!

and about the 'style' and 'score' etc. i'm looking forward to how epic this game feels. Everytime i watch the trailers with that music and the camera shots and the intesity... i just feel like im gonna be sucked into this parallel universe where these things are actually happening, and the weight of the world is on my shoulders....

awesome job... i can't wait till release. when's winter vacation in this country? i hope its Nov. - Jan. laugh.gif!
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/816/816533p1.html

Character creation article + vid.
    What I love is how they managed to get the armour looking so damn good, the design is really basic yet the layers of different material make it such eye candy :P

Also, Gamespot uploaded some short direct feed versions of the PAX demo: http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/media.html?tag=tabs;videos

With actual audible audio, I'm super stoked to hear the voice actor for KOTOR's Carth Onasi is voicing Kaiden. Or atleast it sounds that way.

November couldn't come quick enough.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it seems that my membership to gamespot has no value. i'm tracking mass effect, but not getting any updates. darn.

well thanks for sharing the vids!
    one thing i'm worried about [after seeing the PAX vid] is the framerate. maybe its my browser, but did i see some frames being skipped? ahh well. it'll still be awesomesauce. i can't wait to play it.

oh, and i love those special fx. especially that medi-gel thing. looks funky.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nov. 20 is the release date! yay!
    and oh noes! i was hoping sooner. That's soooo many days from now! ahh well. i'm just glad its still november! i hope assassin's creed comes early november so i can play both and not think about the other laugh.gif!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, i guess its finally here... well almost

this tuesday is the day when we'll be thrust into wat looks like the most epic game ever. if u see the launch trailer [in the gallery at masseffect.com] u'll start drooling.
    i know i did.

my parents are 'convincing' me not to buy it until some time when its cheaper. i said 'okay' cuz i suspect they'll be giving it to my for my b-day... implying i gotta wait till dec 04!!!
    ill haveta play AC till then... not that i mind haha.

and then ill haveta start alternating between AC and ME.... eek.

cant wait till its out!
    hopefully bioware wont screw canada over [like ubisoft and Assassin's Creed did, and like EA screwed the world on 'skate''s release date]
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    It was sold last week at Kmarts... haha
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many Aussies are thoroughly enjoying it already due to EB saying they weren't tied to any advised release date.
    I guess that makes up for their lack of Limited Edition tongue.gif

I've gotta wait till the 23rd frown.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah a few people already have it. I want it but still gotta get Assassins Creed so maybe the wifey will get it for me for christmas.

Or Santa will drop it off.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worried... they say that txt is illegible on sdtv... gulp
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who says? i would expect something like that to have been widely reported given how many people already have the game.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have a SD tv too. i was thinking he meant something more along the lines of Dead Rising's super tiny impossible to see on a SD tv text problems.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one sided IM?
    ouch... r we still on me about that?

and i just reported wat i read.
    btw: it a post on the mass effect forums. it IS the supertiny problem
  • spacemonkey
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Grats Spacey!

Spark
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    did you work on mass effect spacemonkey?
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers Brett! laugh.gif

animatr yesh I did, I was a senior poly pusher working on the human and alien heads, iconic hero and villain, the spaceship and some of the clothing and Armour.
    Worked with an awesome team and had lots of fun on the project smile.gif
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You did an awesome job Spacemonkey, there were a few things I've seen and thought 'yea, I bet Tim did that'. Must have been a great gig (compared to the ones I've had atleast lol). Im looking forward to seeing what you do at Splash Damage cool.gif
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    awesome spacemonkey!! the game looks top notch and reading through the metacritic page, looks like everyone else agrees. good work bioware!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great job man, the art looks slick in the game. Can't wait to check it out.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I know per, saw your work and recommended they get you doing more stuff! smile.gif
    I don't know if I can post anything.. I'll have to speak with people back at Bioware about it
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I got this game yesterday (Gamestop broke street date) and played it for about 5 hours. I love it. So far, my favorite game of the year, and I have played all the big titles. I swear, I've spent probably close to an hour just doing needless talking and little side quests and shit just because it is so interesting to see all the different dialog. I am amazed that they fit it all onto a DVD-9.

Also, e-props to all the people here who worked on the game. Some of the characters and environments are by far the best I have ever seen in any game to date. Sometimes the engine has issues, such as a 128x128 texture will remain in the scene during a cutscene for a good 5-7 seconds before switching to the high res with normals, but it is easy to overlook.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dude with boobs? I think I'll skip this game.
    http://shacknews.com/screenshots.x?gallery=7754&game_id=4191&id=100980

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, what's the go with that shit?
    Congrats to all the Polycounters that helped ship this title. Its a game I plan on picking up eventually. Too many games to get through and not enough hours in the day.

-caseyjones
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    the customization thing really seemed a bit limited, still i managed to make a likable enough female character. it looks gorgeous... and i'm constantly reminded that i'm not playing kotor with all the effects and all the normal map goodness lol ... like OMG what?!?!?! hehe the only complaint is that the first actual level where you get to shoot things looks HIDEOUS, other than that the game seems fun, I really hope its enormously long... PLZZZZZZZ let it be uber long... lol
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message