Home Technical Talk

thoughts on Photoshop 3 extended

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
I have been wanting to try this but it seems that it doesn't let you paint directly on the 3d object. If that the case it's pretty lame. Anyone else play with it?

Alex

Replies

• jam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jam polycounter lvl 18
    from a magazine I recently read...

"It is now possible to import 3D models (such as .u3d, .3ds, .obj, .kmz and Collada file formats), which are placed on a 3D layer. You can move it, adjust the scale and change the lighting and render mode. While the functions are basic, putting them in the hands of Photoshop users will see time savings and increased creativity."

The fact that Photoshop Extended handles video, caught more of my attention.

jam
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's for people who don't have a 3D viewport to view the final image in. Mostly meant for marketing/advertising types to view their 2D flat packaging templates on simple objects like a box or cylinder.

Its not really that helpful for us since we have a 3D app. It could be handy for 2D artists that don't have access to a 3D viewport and have a pretty complex model to work on.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    It looks like they just integrated imageready into photoshop. The 3d layer might be useful painting Matte paintings, but not worth it for 3d artist. I was hoping they would finally help considering how much more they are charging for it. One thing it should do though is to help people that don't have good enough drawing skills to rough out concepts.. I guess I'm just dissapointed that I can't use the rubber stamp, healing brush on my 3d models in photoshop.

Alex