Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment: Floating Island (Personal Challenge)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
I want to be an Environmental and Texture Artist.

I realized. I don't have any full environments that I have made.

I have a happy place, in my head. And I want to build it. The tranquil place you go when you are alone.

Despite it's simplicity, I am going to be using this as a springboard for Mudbox as well.

Though it seems childish (Blizzard Like), I intend to use realistic textures to capture my vision.

I have most of the UVs Laid out already. I tend to do it AS I model, so I can clone parts and keep the same UV Coords (such as the leaf planes).

I am going to add some longer grass billboards scattered on the ground; especially around the bottom of the tree, and rocks.

I want to add a rusted and bent wagon in the grass.

Island_001.jpg
Island_002.jpg

2675 Tri / 1729 Poly

The Box is the size of a person; modeled in inches.

Replies

• Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Do you really want it completely flat on top? I think it really needs some kind of slope or subtle hilly areas. Looks too unnatural the way it is now.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Should be a nice little piece when its done.

Is there any reason why you've got so many tessellations in the overhanging vegetation polys around the rim? they Look like they could be one quad each.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade:

I think you are right. The way I have it now, is so there will be some -bend- to the grass, and so that some strips can be in-front/in-back of others.

Might be a good suggestion though.

Skeptical Nate:

How very skeptical of you. wink.gif I had thought about adding some variation, but there is not alot of space to work with. I hope to make it more interesting by having Grass/Bushes around the plane.

Thank you for your input,

-Andrew
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Nate about breaking up the shape of the ground, even if it is a slight variation.
    Your polygon distribution is really bad. The larger rock has probably the same poly count as the small rock. The grass overhang is really excessive and like Jackablade mentioned it can be achieved using a single quad.
    What kind of poly and texture budget are you giving yourself?

-caseyjones
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the whole scene? Probably 5K.

Perhaps I will tessellate the ground and add more detail. I see what you are saying about the grass. I was taking a similar approach to how I see people do hair.

The rocks. You are right. In fact I started with a large one and went smaller, but did not take out any of the tri's. I will have to do that.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It's why I come here, I don't necessarily think of these things on my own.

-Andrew B. Chason
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you could probably import it into a game once your done as a custom level too. Not sure what game would be best though, or what import tools you'd need.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I make it look -REAL- good... IF... then I am going to do a 360/Quicktime pan around it. IF it looks great.

I know the best pieces from the Dominance War do this after they win, and I think it is that little extra that adds the "sex" to it.