Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Props and stuff!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
Heya,

I've been working on an environment - it's essentially an abandoned older-styled house meant to showcase these props. Only one prop to show right now, but more in the coming few days as I go through them!

A table, 680 tris. 1x 512 colour/normal. It'll be scattered around and tipped over so I gave the underside roughly the same space as the top.

render_table.jpg

table_flat.JPG

And a quick look at it ingame :

ingame.jpg

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I think in all honesty, thats a bit under average. The models got a hell of a lot of wasted polies for what it is, most of which the local map sould be taking care of. The texture doesn't seem to make sense, what IS it? Is that supposed to be marble? It looks like dirt? The UV could be much better organised, and the overall presentation is a bit weak?

IMO of course.

Is that a UE3 asset? If so wheres your spec? It may not be needed but it would improve this model a lot for your materials. Also, its got some odd smoothing issues.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed with odium, it's really hard to tell what the table is made out of right now, the texture looks like some sort of marble/stucco/concrete mixture.
    I see that you're putting wear and tear on the top and edges of the table, but the wood on the legs looks untouched.
    Also agreed about the poly usage, UVs and smoothing. Keep it up, updates. smile.gif
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya,

Yea. it was meant to look like marble. Looks like mission failed on that!

I've trimmed off 100~ tris and I'm going to rework the tabletop now.. any advice on the UV layout? I couldn't seem to get rid of that free space, so I used some of it by giving each table leg its own space. Also - not seeing the smoothing issue here.

ogle - I do have wear and tear on the legs, but I guess it's not obvious, I'll kick it up a notich!
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I advise you increase the resolution on other parts of the texture, instead of just making copies of the table leg. The legs look exactly the same, but a bump in the UV space on the tabletop could really help.

I also think you should work on improving the look of the texture overall. 3DTotal has some great tutorials on painting textures and whatnot in both the Photoshop category, as well as the Digital Painting category.

Keep working on it, and you'll have yourself a pretty nice looking asset. smile.gif
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I changed the tabletop to something that should look better, and I tweaked the UVs so the top and the stand has more space.
    table_flat2.JPG

Viewport (just colour) :

update_table1.jpg

update_table2.jpg

[image]
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    What is the border around your marble made of?

I don't think I've seen many marble table with borders like that. I usually see the whole table top being marble on its own. If there's wood, the wood usually are a lot darker and will be beneath the marble, not around it.

Kind of what I'm thinking about
    http://www.worlddesigncenter.com/image/CCL-T-SA17.jpg
    http://www.gardenfurniturecentre.co.uk/acatalog/marblesetgold_s.jpg
    http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00pRTahfEnFuIKM/Metal-Marble-Table.jpg
    http://www.decoupage.org/Holiday2003images/table2.jpg
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emot-psyduck.gifemot-psyduck.gifemot-psyduck.gif

I'll probably end up changing it to lower the wooden border , but I have to get to the other props as well.

Currently tweaking some lamps and the main door before I start the texture.. 340tris for the door, and just under 250 for each lamp.

lamp_lamb.jpg
    door_lamb.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I actually like the table. The look probably isn't what you were going for, but to me it looks like the sort of cheap, crappy bedside table you might find at the Salvation Army or some other 2nd hand store, or tossed in a corner in someones attic. Its clearly made out of very cheap, aging chipboard with a bad veneer and vinyl faux marble surface. Judging by the base of the table, its gotten wet at some stage, as the chipboard is all expanded and discoloured. Its a table thats had a hard life. Sure its tacky as hell, but it has a story.

Good stuff, Fmnoor. keep it up.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping this one back up...

It was a little more time consuming than I had expected so I couldn't update it as I worked on it (sorry!). This ended up being a small group project (2 people) and was handed in last Thursday - but I'm still going to tweak the textures and lighting during the next couple of weeks (school break).

The other member worked on the crate, grandfather clock, radiator, coloumn, the pedestal, vases and some of the debris (couple of rocks, bricks etc) and a couple of alphas.

We had some problems with alphas and lighting so a lot of them had to be ditched and the environment looks cleaner than planned, but I'm planning in cutting up that BSP and adding textures to it instead. I also plan on adding proper light rays from the windows as well!

lit2-crop.jpg

lit2altangle2-crop.jpg

lit3altangle-crop.jpg

lit1altangle-crop.jpg

lit4-crop.jpg

Some more shots (and original sizes) and unlit / wireframes at www.dustglove.com/images/wip/
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Gears Of War? tongue.gif

I think ATM your biggest problems are a) flat lighting and b) Your normals don't appear to really be doing anything. At all...?
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea it was based off the floorplan from one of the levels, I think it changed a bit from there.

As for the lighting , I'll be tweaking that and I'll post again when I've changed it..

Normals - they're not meant to be overly strong but they should be there :

norm.jpg
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    haha, i was also thinking gears of war till i read your last comment. textures on the structure are coming along nicely but i think the table at the beginign of the thread needs some loving on the top part