Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mythic War Bridge

Sayanora
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
Something I've been working on for a little while. Would have posted something earlier, but was learning normal maps along the way, so it was a bit of a learning experience smile.gif Everything is normal mapped and the majority were derived from high poly source as well as Crazy Bump. There's more to be done, but I'm getting close to moving on to color/spec.

Chris, thanks for the advice you gave me awhile back. Sorry I haven't implemented any of the color stuff yet, hopefully that will be up soon. Oh yeah, and I'll be sure to keep my progress posted here from now on.

Crits please! Thanks guys laugh.gif

Pix:

-Wires-

mythicwarbridgewire1rj1.th.jpg

mythicwarbridgewire2oo8.th.jpg

mythicwarbridgewire3qk9.th.jpg

mythicwarbridge1ct9.th.jpg

mythicwarbridge2pq2.th.jpg

(Fixed uvs, thanks for the heads up ppenguin)
mythicwarbridgecloseup1fc7.th.jpg

Replies

• Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I like the stone walls you have there. The wood in the last image is a little strange, I think the pattern should follow the direction of the roof and not directly up.
    How do you create tileable normals? Make a tileable grey scale bump map then convert it with plugin/crazybumps?
  • Mr Delish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on the iron maiden you cant see the bars on the opposite side. and i agree with penguin's comment about the wood. but other than that, it look fanfreakintastic.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks good, only crit is that under the bridge, where you have the insets the tiled stone pattern doesn't look as good because it breaks up all the time.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet Jesus thats awesome!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool! Agreed with StJoris' point about the insets under the bridge though, you should try one of your other stone textures there, one with a straighter edge, and match that up to the geometry.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, what they said. Treat those insets and all borders/edges as a trim with some sort od cleanly stacked brick. Toss some color on this and apply to mythic... right NOW!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    kick ass work. Cant wait to see this textured.
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've taken your comments to heart and adjusted the inset bricks.

mythicwarbridgeinsetbriqq0.th.jpg

Did some more normal work, although it may or may not be apparent. Also got caught up with sculpting some objects I probably should have just slapped smooth on and made some extra edge additions/chamfering, etc. Went past that point and ended up with this after some mudboxery.

skullbridgehighui6.th.jpg

It's far from perfect and there's a horrible, ugly seam down the center as well as some other geo defects due to some misplaced edges on my base mesh and sloppy sculpting while I was really sleepy. Of course the normal is fixed in post after rendering out my base mesh on top of the areas the rays missed.

Here's the final result of that(minus color/spec)

skullshieldlowqj8.th.jpg

First color update will be coming soon.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Doug,

It looks great. Can you tell me, how many maps are you using? What is their average size. What is your work flow for creating those tillable textures? Are you just sculpting on a plane in Mudbox?

What about those Normal Mapped Billboards you have? Mudbox? Crazy bump?

It looks awesome. Let us know when you get the job.

-Andrew

One thing, is the shield on the house meant to be decorative? Otherwise it is -huge-.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My sincerest apologies for not updating this earlier. Hope this thing's heading in the right direction. The lighting is very temporary, anyway, have a look everyone smile.gif

full1gu2.th.jpg

full2bk0.th.jpg

full4bt8.th.jpg

full3di7.th.jpg

full5ol4.th.jpg

Any crits and comments are much appreciated! Thanks guys smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    good that you have color, now you need some AO and fake depth so everything doesn't look so flat.

Basically the bump is good, but still looks flat between bricks, so you need to paint in some darker tone to make things POP!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice, but I'm agreed with Chris, generally needs more contrast in the diffuse, also I'd push the wood beam hue away from the red and more into the yellow to make it fit in better with the stone.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    You definately need to make some AO babies, like a bunny!

It's reminding a lot of Everquest2's texture work, high on the normalmapping, too high on the specular and diffuse that lacks any real contrast.

You're in danger of making the scene look montonous with the recurring sludgey green theme. I'd play around with the colour scheme some more, perhaps a grey or purple hue for the roofing. Black metal with high specularity, Stucco on the house a much lighter shade like the concept would help to make more interesting contrast.

Keep at it, it's definately going in a good direction.
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, this is good stuff! I won't be able to make any changes over the next few days as I'll be out of time, but when I return I'll definitely be revamping it some more!

Thanks again guys!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    you will be time traveling the next few days?
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, I was incredibly tired when I made this post. I meant to say I'd be out of town for the next few days and assumed I wouldn't have access to my files or internet access. As it turned out, the hotel had one and I'm just now reading what I said with clear eyes.

Updates coming later today.
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I apologize for the lack of updates; I had some other obligations to take care of.

Did some more decal stuff for grass. I've refined and changed some of the textures, got an AO bake working, , and also updated the lighting scheme. This is probably going to be the last update.

I know there are still issues with the project as a whole, but unfortunately, I've run out of time and I need to move on to something else. Please don't let this discourage anyone from critting as I'll be sure to apply it to my next piece!

bridge1sg8.th.jpg

bridge2wy9.th.jpg

bridge3px1.th.jpg

bridge4fj2.th.jpg

bridge5cx7.th.jpg

bridge6tq0.th.jpg

bridge7ei6.th.jpg

Thanks for all of your c & c so far guys, much appreciated smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This turned out AWESOME! Every single image has something interesting to take in. You should do a backdrop/stage for it quickly so its not being taken down a notch by the gray backgorund.

LOVE IT.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The first four shots are great! The last ones show that not all your elements are working together. I think you need more inter object shadows, to show that all the stuff belongs together. Right now a lot of things appear to be floating above what's under them. Your spec maps also seem a bit universally too shiny.

Great work overall though, Love the overall shape and whimsy of the piece.

poop.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Sayanora, this is looking seriously nice. My only crit is that the specular seems to be the same for everything with a grit to it? Not sure what that is, but wood should not have the same sheen to it as metal, or stone for that matter. Take a bit of time to go over that spec map, and tweak a few things and this will be sweet! Oh, also I would for the underside of the roof, make it be wooden beams, not the shingles from the top of the roof, small little details like that really help your piece.

Spark
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Great style! I'll agree with Spark about the spec though. A lot of the stone has a plasticy shine to it. Dry stone should be very dark in your spec map, nearly black.
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, thank you all for your kind words blush.gif Really makes it worth posting. Not to diminish the value of good crits though! Andrew and another friend, Justin have been playing around with ShaderX and made a shader to allow my tileables to tile properly as they're mostly 1024x512. Hats off to them!

Adam:
    Good suggestion. I really wish I had time to make a sky for this scene, as well as some other environment stuff. Maybe I'll work on it some more when I get the time.

Ben:
    Glad you liked it dude! My friend Andrew pointed some of this out to me earlier, so I should've listened to him then, but your advice is spot on. I updated the shadow bake, so hopefully the update reflects this smile.gif

Brett:
    I kinda liked the exaggerated look of the stone's shininess, but it does look wrong! So I adjusted all the stone work and the wood (which also didn't look right or good:). Oh yeah, and I changed the texture of the underside of the roof. It did make quite a difference!

Ryan:
    I think I kinda covered your suggestion with my response to Brett, but thanks to you as well smile.gif The kind of wood I was trying to create was definitely not painted or wet, so I agree, it shouldn't have had the particular sheen that it had.

I've taken all of your advice that time allowed me to work with and applied it to the piece. Have a look!

warbridgecollagell8.th.jpg

Sorry for the lame ass expert mode, multi cam grab, but I figure it shows the results off well. If I missed something, let me know!

EDitZ

I should also point out that all the images are viewport grabs and are utilizing an AO bake via secondary map channel. If this wasn't apparent, it is now laugh.gif Thanks Andrew!
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    Wow great model and especially texture!It kinda reminds me of crash bandicoot! smile.gif
    Great work.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    couple nitpicks, since youve clearly spent a lot of time on this theres a few tweaks that I think would help the polish.. bottom left pic on the left theres some fairly obvious uv mismatching, I'd tweak that a bit. also on the bridge, the actual bridge and stones look great, really 3d- but the ground cobbles don't have the same punch. I know since the light is more straight on theyre probably going to be harder to make stick out but its worth having a tweak.
    great work!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Much better man. You've wrangled the spec back down, and it looks way-much-more-better-good.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Outstanding work. Great consistency in the texturing.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thats looking pretty amazing, are you going to make more buildings?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    This piece is looking really slick. I like the style and the texture work. If i were to give any feedback, it would be to suggest a smoother transition between brick types... where the cobblestone on the road meets the wall, it would be nice if there was some sort of texture blended to the wall, or perhaps some vertex color darkening that corner... or just a different brick creating a trim... other than that, looks great to me...

Everything else has already been commented.

Cheers! keep on keepin' on
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    The roof tiles should bend with the cartoony curvature of the roof, not appear straight and have tiles seemingly pop outta nowhere. Overall, the work is really solid but needs some texture tweaking to make it all come together and look believable.

Post more when you get a chance smile.gif
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    woo awesome job! i only got one thing to add:

AO bake! i think even a 512x512 for the whole piece would do the trick
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    no crits for me - looking good man :]