Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rate My Biped

Hello there!

I am pretty new to modeling and I could definately use your advice. If anyone is interested, please feel free to critique my work as hard as possible. I understand that some of the anatomy/wireframe may be a little off and I would like to improve upon this before I begin to unwrap/sculpt it.

Thanks!

36389341op3.jpg

29614241is4.jpg

98068241yb8.jpg

Replies

• technodookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    technodookie polycounter lvl 17
    the crotch could use some more definition and also I think the hips should sit a little higher...the torso just seems a little long to me.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah the anatomy is way off...go back to your reference and compare....If your not using reference then get some
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he has boobs?
    lol, j/k

im no pro at anatomy, but i'd say that the back-butt-thigh connectoion is looking slightly strange, and that the hips should go higher.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    The hips are fine, its the breasts that are too high up, I think he is using a reference and I think I know the one he's using too and the model herself has abnormaly small breasts that sit too high up, whilst in real life she is attractive you have to equate her proportions to 3d exactly to the same effect. A little too much for a beginer to take on, hell, I wouldn't even take it on lol.

A paint over explains the problems I see faster than words so here ya go. Try focusing on the overall body shape before focusing on any one specific area. I find I often end up with a disproportionate mess when I try and get "just this" right. Always go back and look at the whole when you change a proportion of any kind during your tweaking wink.gif

pobgr5.jpg

You should be able to use the PO as orthos if you need to to help get a feel for the proportions.

Keep at it
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    use more reference
    useref.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, and he used my paintover for that blush.gif As you can see, even my paintover was off. I didn't use a reff though, killingpeople has the right approach. You can never reference too much when you are starting out.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    oh funny smile.gif you too xaltar!
  • Jonchron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I really appreciate all the feedback, guys.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good site with a lot of anatomical references. I have books and people I can work with in person but its just not the same as planar orthographic layouts.

None the less, here is an update. Let me know what you think of my progress, please.

ddar8.jpg
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    you can take photo from the book/real people, that'd be easiest.

This is the best reference site out there. It's not free but absolutely worth the price.
    http://3d.sk/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legs are still WAY too short, which is throwing off the rest of it. You really need to bulk up her calves and lengthen both the thigh and shin bones. The arms could be too long, but its hard to tell because the legs are so short.

Bluechick.gif
    Crappy paint over

The work you've done on the torso is a great improvement, nice work =)
  • Jonchron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, this one feels better to look at too. Can anyone still notice any obvious flaws?

ddwa9.jpg
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Again man.....stop guessing and get some reference..a simple overlay will tell you what is wrong.... like KP showed you... Also block in a head...even if it is just a cube or sphere..it will help you nail down the proportions better....Feet are too small...Knees are in an odd place and are hyperextened...etc

Proportions are tricky...takes practice...and reference... keep working at it
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're doing well implimenting our advice, good job. Your side view still needs a lot of work. If you have someone (female) who can stand sideways and let you get a pic (swimsuit is usually best) that will help you a lot. The female form is all curves and flowing lines, if it looks awkward then something is almost always off. Not to sound like a parrot but REFERENCE tongue.gif hehe.

She's shaping up nice, keep it up.