Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

cliffside slum

dougjuno
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dougjuno polycounter lvl 18
It has been almost 2 years since I've done any personal work. I want to update my portfolio and I'm starting with this. I started a slum a while ago and wanted to start it over from scratch and actually finish it. Right now it's just a rough block out with a couple of assets from the original design, some rock detail tests and proposed lighting. It is going to be stylized/somewhat toony. I plan on throwing it into the unreal ed. from roboblitz.
Slum_wip_04.jpg

Replies

• fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    so far so good. keep it comin!
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    I'm really digging the idea and scenery, surreal love win! One thing I think could have a lot more done with it is the lighting, right now, you've got fairly standard sky colours on a stylized environment. IMO, you could throw some more contrast to the lighting, and give the scene a strong unified colour scheme by giving the sunlight a nice colour. One more thing, I'd go a little softer on the shadows, lookin' Doom 3ish, and Unreal 3's baking is perfect for tweaking things like that.

You have a little too much negative space in the center left of the shot on that empty cliff face. Add another interesting thing or two to make the whole scene have a more cohesive, well thought out look!

Can't wait to see the updates, promising concept.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Aww, I was hoping for a portrait of myself...

This looks cool too, I guess. :P
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    awesome stuff.

Are you gonna do some nice high poly stuff for the normal maps?
  • dougjuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dougjuno polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the replies guys. i updated the picture at the top. The rocks are taking a long time to place. I'm still trying to figure out what my solution for the cliff will be. I'm trying to tackle the most time comsuming part first though, adding a few other things here and there for overall feel. I guess what I meant by proposed lighting was, time of day and sun direction, not really final color and all that. Hopefully this weekend I will get a good chunk more in there.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Nice. Reminds me Desperados game...