Offline / Send Message
Quinn polycounter lvl 11
Post deleted by Quinn

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    marvel usually gets pretty mad about these kinds of things. I suppose it would be alright as long as you never released your mod or ever made a webpage showing works in progress, and only played it by yourself. Otherwise, Marvel will shut you down. They're mean like that frown.gif
  • Quinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quinn polycounter lvl 11
    Post deleted by Quinn
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Maybe, I wouldnt know.. How many good Marvel mods have been made or attempted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually exactly what aesir said happens, so they aren't really the most popular sort.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i was working on some marvel stuff a long time ago and it just stopped and no more working on it. Marvel is a bunch of ass clowns.

Totally stupid since it only makes their characters more popular and it's free advertising. BUT on the other side they may feel that people won't do them justice and don't want ugly stuff out there.
  • Quinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quinn polycounter lvl 11
    Post deleted by Quinn
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I'm reminded of that simpsons episode with flatulent fox & manic mailman rip-offs, maybe you should try the same! laugh.gif.
  • Quinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quinn polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm Mods are tricky aye. Some people dont mind due to the free publicity and no money being made on the Modders part ie Earth Special Forces - The DragonballZ game ect. But really have to see what they decide to do. This being the reason im only starting with 1 map and 1 character. While I sort out the engine and coding ect.
  • Quinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quinn polycounter lvl 11
    Post deleted by Quinn
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I dont think being sued/stopped would be a problem. A lot of artists have marvel characters in their portfolio, a mod isnt far off that really as long as its just for fun. Pierre bourgeot's wolverine wasnt made with marvels permission was it? and I think Thinktank used it for promotional material. Kolby's Hellboy/Hulk etc. in his portfolio are the same deal I think, someone correct me if Im wrong. And Josh singhs iron man was actually used by marvel, though it was just a portfolio piece originally wasnt it? Seriously, I could be wrong but that was just my impression.

I think as long as your not making money its just regarded as fan art.

Is it the best idea for a mod? Maybe not, I dont know.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    A lot of artists have marvel characters in their portfolio,

[/ QUOTE ]

Artist portfolios are not game projects that Marvel will worry about losing money over.

I doubt anyone here will risk their butt because of some fans rebelling against 'the system'. It's not worth the trouble of wasted effort.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah there is a difference between making a few characters for a portfolio and making a game mod. I know I wouldn't destroy my career or even put it on the line by attempting this. Marvel is very strict about their rules and use of characters.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres some info for you if you are serious about this.

Licensing
    Marvel asks that all requests for licensing information or proposal submissions be in writing.

Send your letter to:
    Marvel Licensing Department
    Marvel Entertainment, Inc.
    417 5th. Avenue
    New York, NY 10016

Marvels Contact List

Here's a letter about skindex's battle with Marvel and what happened to them just for making skins...

marvel's evil regime
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    It depends how the mod would be used I guess. If it was widespread enough that marvel think the mod could convince people to buy UT3 to play it, then yea they would throw a hissy. My impression was the mod would be kind of a colaborative portfolio piece, for artists, animators and others in the mod process which I doubt would be a problem. But yea could be a ratsnest.

Might want to see if you can come up with any other ideas for themes just incase. If you can get a good theme together, and maybe a bit of good 2d work you could get some 3d artists to jump in probably. If you want to do the marvel thing, there are artists with marvel characters in their portfolio's who you could contact to see if the will help by donating their models theoretically. Though I have no idea what they would say. And yea make sure you dont get in the shit mad.gif
  • Quinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quinn polycounter lvl 11
    Hmmm sounds like its gonna be too much of a hassle might just can it for now...
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    there used to be a sticky here in Request that basically said NO MARVEL related requests to be made because of the C&D order marvel put out a few years back.

Singh's Iron Man was a portfolio piece, yes it was used by Marvel because the artist for that issue is a good friend of Singh's and asked permission.
  • Quinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quinn polycounter lvl 11
    Okay this is closed stop posting huh guys.
  • Quinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quinn polycounter lvl 11
    Actually can one of the admins please delete this whole thread as its too much of a hassle to do.
  • Quinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quinn polycounter lvl 11
    cheers for the input though guys.