Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

storage box [c/c]

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
A lil' futuristic box I'm working on. Any suggestions?

Futuristic box (under 2000 plys)
box.png
box2.png

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Have you considered optimizing that?

It has a number of places that can be optimized to reduce your polycount - you do not need multiple chamfers on edges like that.

2,000 triangles is a bit much for a crate, especially when its not making good use of those 2,000.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah that is rather high poly. and a lot of those edges can be faked with the normal map if you are doing a high poly version.
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    yeah now that i look back on it, its way too high poly and a waste of them. I never use optimize but i tried it, it clean up a little but not in the spots i needed. i think i need to go back to the ol' drawing board.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    they mean optimise it by hand
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I have one crit.

Why would a storage box in the future have all these different sub-boxes coming off it? Wouldn't a box in the future just look like a box? Yeh its a bit boring but boxes are.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have one crit.

Why would a storage box in the future have all these different sub-boxes coming off it? Wouldn't a box in the future just look like a box? Yeh its a bit boring but boxes are.

[/ QUOTE ]

More Boxes Means More Future.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on what it is storing if it needs all that stuff. If you can explain what is inside and why all that stuff is there then you might be able to squeak that monster crate past an unwitting Art Director, but I doubt it. I'm not saying you can't have a 2k poly crate, that depends on the game and the status of the crate. But you could put the 2k polys you have to better use to really add a lot more detail.

Optimize is a really old modifier that works on triangles, it doesn't play too nicely with edit poly or on polys that don't have every edge visible. You're better off optimizing it by hand, or better yet don't go crazy with the chamfer tool in the future =P

Suggestions:
    - Get rid of MOST of the chamfered edges, fake that with smoothing groups, texture work and normal maps.
    - Delete the inner polys on the round hoses near the bottom, and push the side polys to clip into the main body of the crate. Then paint recessed detail on the side.
    - Count Tris not "polys". A poly can have a bunch of triangles in it but no visible edges on those tris so it gets counted as one poly, when it could be made up of many more tris. Don't be afraid to turn tri edges on and look at your model you'll find it messier than you thought. It's pretty common for people new to max/maya to "remove a visible edge" and think they "optimized the model" after all the poly counter went down? BUT the edge is still there just not visible. I see quite a bit of this on your model so check out the tris. After all most games count tris not polys, so its best to keep that in mind. I'm not saying you should start modeling in tris but you should keep it in mind.

Looks interesting keep at it =)