Home Technical Talk

Max to ZBrush to Max... (Mudbox?)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
My institution recently acquired ZBrush. Granted, it is still being tested across the network, and no one here knows how to use it. In an attempt to push myself farther and harder I am determined to learn how to use it to make normal maps that are, "full of sex".

In all the areas I am lacking, I know how to unwrap well. I have seen some maps from ZBrush that are indecipherable checkers filled with normal information.

• My hope, is that if you unwrap your lowpoly in Max first, and then take it to Zbrush, you will preserve the UWV coords. Am I wrong?

I have scoured the forums, and the web, and cannot find anything concreted about how to get a model from Max to Zbrush and Back.

• If you take it to Zbrush, do you just bring the Normal Map back to Max, or do you still bring the High Poly model to Max and still do the comparison?

For planning; in all these awsome models that we see (take the Dominance War for example) did those models start out with the blocking for the lowpoly, and have the detail (and High Poly) made from it?

Or did they start as gorgeous highpoly, and have the lowpoly made -around- it?

I know I have a tendancy to bombard you with questions, but you all have been helpful in the past. In short, is there a standard workflow for this sort of thing? How do you go from Max, to ZBrush, to Max? If I want to do this, are there reasons I would be better off learning Mudbox? Which is more intuitive? Which one fits my needs better(I only want to Normal, not make whole pieces).

Thank you for your patience.

-Andrew B. Chason

If you have links to web resources that could help me, or someone like me, out please post those too.

Replies