Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

character - Serpico - the honest cop (wip)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
Hi there!
Been tired of working only on the roman warrior, so decided to change the theme for a while to take a rest. Here is what I got:
xport1ax5.jpg
and a wireframe...
xport2wiretg0.jpg

I was just watching Serpico movie and Al Pacino is my favorite actor, so I decided to model him. I plan to make his mouth "functional", the eyes need some work, but I think that the base is pretty good.
I´ll try to post more updates as soon as possible, but sorry if the thread won´t be updated very frequently - I´m very busy at the time.

Comments are very welcome.

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm id say the ear isnt positioned properly?, it should sit behind the jaw bone. Maybe tweak the size too.
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    You should post the reference you are using. At the moment his face looks a bit too long to be pacino. Also, you might wanna revisit and clean up some of the poly flow of the face. At the moment it's a tad sloppy. Check out this useful reference: http://www.bunk.cistron.nl/plaatjes/poly_regions.jpg Not a bad job so far, just tweak it a little bit and you're good to go.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for crits.
    Cyi, here´s my reference I was using.
    referenceys0.jpg
    It´s from Serpico movie. I was also watching Godfather, but he has completely other shape of head there...
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, guys. Here´s some new progress. I remade the face a bit, but you can´t see it on these screengrabs. I´ll upload some face details later, when I´ll be more satisfied with that. So here´s what I did:
    xport1au2.jpg
    and a silhouette grab:
    xport2ub5.jpg
    The handcuffs are not positioned well on the uniform. Will take care of that...
    I´ll make the fingers separate later. It´s 3010 tris right now. Not that bad, I guess. Hope somebody likes it.

Btw. If anyone could post some good reference pictures of the police uniform from the 70´s/80´s, I´d appreciate that. I´ve been trying to find some on google, but no luck...

Comments and crits are very welcome.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's coming along very nicely. The face definitely matches Pacino's more closely now. I can't wait to see it textured. Keep us posted. smile.gif
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Nice update.

Check the size of the head, feels tad too big and the neck is too thin in sideview (or maybe it's the head size that makes it look that way).

To adjust the head's proportions, the person should be able to cover the face with the hand. Of course proportions of the hand also need to be correct for this to work but you get the idea wink.gif.
  • The Umbrella Man
    He has no eyelids. Right now the eyeball is just kinda hanging out there in space ready to fall out when someone pats him on the back. I know you said the eyes need work, just didn't know if you knew why. Other then that I like it.

Also looking at the reference he has very high cheekbones that create a dip underneathe his eye, it would help your likeness if you took that into account.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, guys. Here I´m again. I was very busy with the school, but finally I finished all the final exams, so I´m a free man and I can post some new progress.

jgarland - thank you, I´m afraid that I screwed up the face a bit right now, so I´m wondering how are you gonna like this update...

Psyk0 - I´ve been working on the proportions a bit, so hope you´re going to like it this time.

The Umbrella Man - been working on the eyes. The eyes seemd huge on the previous update because there vere the eyelids, but it was not made properly, so it should be better now.

- and here it goes -

head grabs:
    020607xportfaceph6.jpg
    Like I said, I´m not very satisfied with the shape of his face. It really doesn´t look great from that near and I think that I should go back to some of the older versions of the head, but I´d like to get some crits on the eyes and mouth, because I want to make it all functionable.

body grabs:
    020607xportbodygrabstl8.jpg
    Here I´d really appreciate some help. I don´t know what more details I should add to his belt. I think that there should be some more equipment... any ideas?

wireframe grabs:
    020607xportwiregrabsif3.jpg

and the gun:
    020607xportgunll9.jpg

It´s all 3,665 triangles. Not bad polycount, I guess.
    Hope you guys like it. Let me know what you think.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you may have lost some of the gauntness in his face, though I can't quite put my finger on it. I think the texture will do a lot for the face, and bring the likeness up to snuff. Overall, it looks pretty good. A few tweaks here and there and I'd say the model is done.

As far as what you could add to the belt, I'd perhaps add a radio, a buckle, an extra clip for his pistol, and a random pouch or two for holding whatever odds and ends. Try to avoid making it look cluttered, though.

The polygon count so far is pretty good for a current-gen game. I'd just try to keep it around 4,000 triangles or so. Keep on plugging away at it. It'll be a really solid portfolio piece when it's done, I can tell. smile.gif
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for comments and tips, jgarland. I was working on the belt and remade the face a bit. Here are the grabs of the head:
    facexportrx0.jpg

I think that looks very good from the side view (btw. as I look on the grabs I see I have to tweak the size of the ear again). Hope the texture will add some more specification to the face from the front view...

I´m planning to start unwrapping soon, so I´d like to ask you guys about this:
    quest1xportgf0.jpg

How about the triangles in the wireframe? Won´t they make any problems during unwrapping? And how about texture on places like this? Won´t that be a bit deformed?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Triangles don't affect uvs any differently than quads do.

distortion/stretching depends entirely on your uv skillz, not the mesh construction.

You might have it confused with the problems that can occur when a subdivided model uses triangles like that, in which case it could cause undesirables.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sectaurs.
    Started unwrapping like I said. Here are some grabs:
    modelunwrappingxportjk9.jpg
    Here is a detail look on the uniform.
    uniformunwrapxportkc1.jpg
    Of course the unwrapping is still in progress, so I´m going to take care of all the distortions. Hope it´ll look better later... But what do you guys think about the seams? Could I place it any better?

And here´s a grab from Edit UVW´s:
    uvweditxportds5.jpg
    That´s what my UV´s look like. I didn´t use any mirroring, ´cause I want to have unique texture for whole model, and I´d also like to normal map this character.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. I unwrapped the model already few days ago, so here are the UV´s.

body UV´s
    xportbodyuvswf7.jpg

head UV´s
    xportheaduvsad8.jpg

It´s scaled down, but originally it´s going to be 1024 for body (+ equipment) and another 1024 for the head(+ hat).

Right now I´ve paused working on serpico, ´cause I have to wait until I buy a tablet (should not take too long).

I´ve been trying to rig the model, but it´s really above my skills for now... If anybody knows about good tutorial focused on rigging a character like this, I´d really appreciate for sharing it.