Home General Discussion

Lucasarts: Fracture

Replies

• JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Man, I looked at the screenshots and was thinking it was nothing special, just another sci-fi shooter.

Then I watched the trailer...
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Man, I looked at the screenshots and was thinking it was nothing special, just another sci-fi shooter.

Then I watched the trailer...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, yeah... ditto.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, dunno but to me it seems more like a novelty feature, that will loose its appeal rather quickly.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    would make for some interesting multiplayer. Seems like it'd be easy to break the maps though... Tunneling under buildings and whatnot.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm, dunno but to me it seems more like a novelty feature, that will loose its appeal rather quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea thats kinda what I was thinking. Still very impressive though, could turn out to be a great game.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    EARTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wind!!... wata.... Fire...... Heart!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, a bland FPS with a mildly amusing gimmick. Looks like a competitor for Cellfactor's crown, such as it is.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Reminded me of Battlezone's thumper weapon. Damn that was cool.

Real time deforming heightmaps eh? Hopefully it's a little stronger than Red Faction's use of its fairly innovative tech, even if this "new tech" is really quite antiquated, just underused. Let's hope to see it in more than 3 levels.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Looks very mehhhh and hey its by day one a port company.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    This game would be better as a platformer.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I hope that Mountain Dew Ad escapee can save the universe with his giant dung balls and lava wangs.

I echo the sentiments of Jackablade. However it could be pretty fun with multiplayer, interesting objectives, etc. We'll see.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    It's an FPS, of course I am going to buy it..

Scott
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the gimmick looks interesting enough, but the art direction is extremely boring, generic, and... yellow?

Don't know how long I could look at the game.

multiplayer looks like it could be fun though.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think people have been wanting destroyable environments for a while, which I think was the goal for this game. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they added anything beyond that. I agree... the art is old/generic. Makes me want to mod the game so it would have better graphics, but use the physics engine. Unfortunately I don't think it will have a big enough community to make it work modding :/
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    That grenade throw animation played over and over again is pretty weak. Looks like it could be fun though.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    HAY GUYS LOOK WE HAVE A GIMMICK ISNT IT NEAT ITS JSUT LIKE HALF LIFE2 PHYSICS TOY BUT BETER

looks neat, but very, very gimmicky. Even moreso than half life 2 was (can you really tell me there was innovative gameplay in hl2 beyond "hey look physics, instead of pushing button to extend bridge, you pick up and move bridge into place yourself!"). Judging from the trailer (will, of course, save final judgement for the final product), it looks like they came up with a new technology and immediately wrapped a shitty standard FPS game around it. Can't we try to innovate a LITTLE? Other than the obvious gimmick technology, the game looks like generic scifi FPS X.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Im sure they could have come up with more interesting ways to affect the environment than just chucking grenades? just feels like they took a pretty cool feature and presented it in a really straightforward and obvious way
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    meh....looks like they got some tech, and are trying to design a game around it.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    From what I read this is a class based shooter. I think the terraforming stuff is just the focus of their demolitions class, not the whole game.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Echoing the absurdly gimmicky yet interesting feeling. And if I have to see another shot of him left hand chucking grenades...the entire trailer...damn it. I feel a spoof video coming eventually...
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea the grenade throw animation was so weak, and it was a focal point of the trailer lol. When I saw the trailer I instantly thought about Mass Effect, looks like it quite a lot but, well not as interesting. I'm positive gameplay wont be nearly as deep as ME either.

But yea the tornado effect at the start was awsome, and a few others were very cool
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    All I am really seeing is a bunch of deformations on the terrain mesh. just changing a height map on the fly. That and throwing in a wave effect to ripple the terrain. I was more impressed with Red Faction's destruction.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm with most of you guys on this, nice tech, meh application, boring art style. Reminded me of a trailer I saw a few months ago for for 'Cellfactor: Combat Training' (think UT with jedi force powers), which uses the Ageia 'PhysX' physics card. Although it'd take more than that title to make me go out and buy a physics card, I like the look and application of the tech better than Fracture. Combine the two and you may have a sweet game! crazy.gif

www.cellfactorgame.com
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    That grenade throw animation played over and over again is pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly what I thought. That animation looks like ass.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Right now the art of the level design looks boring to me but i have confidence that lucasarts will ensure that the design will fit to lucasarts standarts. smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

its an "over the shoulder boulder ... hurler?"
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    damm you guys are harsh wink.gif I thought the terrain manipulation feature was pretty cool, though i hope thats not the only thing the game has to offer smile.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

its an "over the shoulder boulder ... hurler?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Owwww.

Scott
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool idea, but I think they pimped it too soon. The art just isn't ready to be ogled yet. The animations are horrid, I guess in the future everyone's spine is fused and never bends? Nice deforming terrain trick, but lets not forget proper deformations on the main character, especially if its a 3rd person shooter...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't think the art was all that bad, really. The animations were obviously slapped on as an afterthought, and levels weren't as much levels as test-beds, but i quite liked the colours.
    Allright, so that's quite a minuscule saving grace, but all i'm saying is: the bad bits look obviously unfinished, so let's hang on to see what it turns into?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    It's interesting to see Lucasarts go between lulls of poor movie tie in games and ambitious titles like this, the new Indiana Jones game and the new Star Wars game. Lots of fun new tech they are putting to good use, I can't wait to see how the final products fare.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    there's nothing worse than the excess hype that gets bandied around any time there's deformable/destructable terrain type features in an upcoming game.
    technically, yes you could make a game has a very highly destructable game world, but every time we've gotten close to that (say, Red Faction's geomod), it's shoehorned into a very staid, traditional game design. technology is going to have to be matched by an equal level of gameplay design innovation before this really gets anywhere interesting.

Fracture does look pretty cool... but doesn't anyone else feel like Magic Carpet did this sort of stuff a lot earlier and a lot better? don't get me wrong, i love traditional-type shooters. just don't sell me one claiming it's the next big thing when it's just another shooter with a hook.

oh, and as regards lucasarts: color me disinterested. maybe a little love left for Indiana Jones games, but i really don't know if i'll ever play another SW game. life's too short to spend any more time with rotten universes.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Yeah, magic carpet was a great game! I would love to play a game like this with a curent engine. Im also tired of all sequals but a new magic carpet or a new dungeon keeper would be cool because there was never another game like that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I was just thinking of Magic Carpet recently too. The way the castles sprouted out of the ground was awesome. Shame the enemies were so boring.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck Fracture, bring back Monkey Island! I wants to pwn LeChuck!

Just kidding, but the first two were great games smile.gif One of the better things Lucasarts brought out IMO.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    haha reminds me of Full Metal Alchemist mixed with Mass Effect, its a cool idea but as said above it needs to be a good game design not just a good idea or a good play mechanic.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i'm interested. its just a minute long teaser trailer, to asume thats all there is to the whole game is a bit silly. It may be that way, but to early to say for sure. aesir i don't see isues with breaking the game, you just make the levels where you can't use the terrain stuff where you are not suposed to. like the grapple in lost planet (and bionic commando) you can't just swing anywhere. its designed to keep you on tracks