Home Technical Talk

Can I extract any normal maps from a subD model?

pillowsama
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
pillowsama polycounter lvl 17
Hi, I'm very new here so I hope you guys can help me out a little here. I am pretty aquainted with zbrush and som mudbox, but I've been having difficulty trying
to create non-organic stuff in both programs.
I've seen some really nice armor modeling in the Dominance War and I was wondering
if they extracted their normal maps out of subD model in 3D max or any other 3d packages..? Thnx a lot guys! Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Yes, you can bake normals in 3ds Max using a sub-d model and a low rez model. Check out "Render to Texture" in the help file for more info. I think poopinmymouth's tutorial on his site focuses heavily on it as well - www.poopinmymouth.com
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    yes...also, if you are just getting into 3d, i recommend you learn at least one polymodeling program...it's vital. hard poly modelling rocks for hard surface materials.
  • pillowsama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha thnx a lot guys! Well, I'm not exactly new to 3D, I've actually graduated from The Art Institute of Vancouver... but to be honest, the teaching there sucked frown.gif didn't really get much out of it and we were not taught about anything next gen at all. That's why I'm here seeking for help and I've got them! thnx a lot guys! Also, is it possible that i can import the subD model back into zbrush or Mudbox to do normal map extraction?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    you can go back and forth from(for example) max and zbrush all you want. if zbrush is the case....you can be in zbrush...then export your lowest subdivision from zbrush as an obj....import it into max....move stuff around(keeping the same vert count ie: don't add any geo)....then export obj...then import back into zbrush and all your subdivisions will still be intact. so...YES, absolutely you can.

look man...i went to one of those art institute schools. their education is really behind the times. but with a lot of hard work and some questions here...hhahaha....you can and will get up to speed. it just may take some time.
  • pillowsama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I know exactly how you feel man. My teacher was the biggest retard ever to be honest lol. We spent 3 months working on a head, and it's like extreme low poly....
    All we learnt was photo sourced texture, nothing really hand-paint or utilizing both so the tyle of characters that we could create was close to nothing ... mad.gif but heck, I geared away from his teaching and he hated me for the rest of the few quarters hahaha. Though I learnt way more haha
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I'd get used to baking out normal maps in Max, rather than using Zmapper. If you use Max or Maya to do it, you will also be able to bake out an ambient occlusion map, baked lighting and other useful stuff, as well as having much better control of the way the rays are cast.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    look man...i went to one of those art institute schools. their education is really behind the times. but with a lot of hard work and some questions here...hhahaha....you can and will get up to speed. it just may take some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm possibly being held from graduating because my game is not cross platform. Go figure, beat that.
  • pillowsama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okai, I'll definitely look into that. I'm mostly a maya user though, but I would very much like to get into max because I wanna mirror and stack my normal maps XP does any one know any basic tutorials that teaches me to move things around, cut edges and such?

Professor420:
    wow, wait by "my game" did u mean the game that u guys have to work on prior to graduation? the GPW thing?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I've not tested it yet, but I think maya 8.5 can also create and display correctly mirrored normal maps.
  • pillowsama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will be very much thankful if that is the case... I don't have too much time to learn max from scratch... and to get familiar with it would probably take me a while, so maya is the best choice at this point frown.gif
  • pillowsama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read on 3D creatives that ppl use "meshsmooth" modifier to smooth their low poly model. Is this a different method? or is it the same as subD? Will I be able to extract any normal maps out of that?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Meshsmooth is one of the ways to subd a model in Max, you can also use Turbosmooth cause it's a little faster since it doesn't have all the options Meshsmooth has or you can just turn on Nurms in editable poly to preview or model how your low poly mesh will look once it's smoothed.

Alex
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]

I'm possibly being held from graduating because my game is not cross platform. Go figure, beat that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the christ school do you go to that requires artists to make cross-platform games?
  • pillowsama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see!! All your help is very much appreciated !! Thnx guys! I am mainly a maya user though, but I believe it should be similar right...... ? haha

and yah, I think he's talking about AI, or I donno, at least I was there and they wouldn't let you graduate if you don't finish the game ...