Home Technical Talk

Need Render to Texture Help

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
I'm trying to use Max's Render to Texture to bake some lighting from a highpoly model into a lowpoly. But I can't stop the highpoly from interfering with the rendering of the map (see pic).

Baking Problem

What do I need to change to fix this? mad.gif

Replies

• tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    ur site aint loadin for me brotha...
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm crappa. How 'bout now?
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    try to hide your low poly or make it not renderable
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    hmmm could be that you are baking a shadows map. I take it you are trying to make an AO map. Instead of selecting a shadows map (element) select a lighting map instead. That should fix things since you are actually baking the lighting from the high to the low much like you would with a normal map.

Shadow maps are different types of maps and not what you are trying to use.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions guys but neither worked. However switching on the Light Tracer in render settings fixed it. Don't know why.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Just a quicky here:

Why do you keep you projection cage so far from your mesh ? im asking because i have no idea if its better to have it near it or a bit retracted. Is this a better method ?

thanks
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Could you post the actual saved file that renders? Not the preview, which many times is totally unaccurate?
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    What Ryno said. Ignore the image that Max puts up on screen as a preview. It is totally wrong most of the time. Open up the auto-saved image. When I first started using RTT years ago, I spent the better part of a whole day at work trying to figure out why my lightmap wasn't rendering properly, then discovered it was perfectly fine when I opened up the saved image instead of looking at the preview.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop - I'm not sure if it's better to have it near or far either, I was just experimenting when I took the screenshot.

Ryno,SuperOstrich - The saved image was coming up with the same clipping errors. But it's okay now as LightTracer seems to have fixed it. Do you guys usually turn LightTracer on?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    What was your light setup like beforehand? And yes, I'll use LightTracer, or Skylight with Shadows on (reads alpha), occasionally radiosity, or V-Ray dirt maps to get the occlusion.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I still don't know why lightracer would fix clipping issues like that. But for the record, yes, I usually render my ao maps with a skylight and lightracer active. Sometimes I'll use radiosity to see which one turns out better.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno - I was just using a Skylight with shadows on. But you sometimes bake from hi to lo with just Skylight and shadows? With no problems? ...this is strange :|...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What Ryno said. Ignore the image that Max puts up on screen as a preview. It is totally wrong most of the time. Open up the auto-saved image. When I first started using RTT years ago, I spent the better part of a whole day at work trying to figure out why my lightmap wasn't rendering properly, then discovered it was perfectly fine when I opened up the saved image instead of looking at the preview.

[/ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHAHA I did the same thing the first few times.
    I have a normal map render preset that turns off the "render frame window" that way I don't get freaked out by what I see in the preview window and start tweaking things.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, my bad. No, haven't baked from high to low with skylight shadows. Just straight up occlusion renders on the low. I think from high to low I usually did LightTracer.