Home Technical Talk

Unreal Ed BSP problem. Any help is welcome, Thanks

armagon9177
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
armagon9177 polycounter lvl 18
Hello guys, I've been working on a 100 percent custom map for UT2004. Recently while hollowing out major areas with subtraction brushes and addition brushes I realized that I had to lower a certain hallway/area. So to make other areas and hallways connect properly I had to move the subtraction and addition brushes down about 8 units @ 4 units scale.

The problem is that when I did this I got a nasty black cieling that isnt recieving lighting. I know it was sloppy brush work that shouldve been avoided but I had no choice.

Is this a common BSP error, I can still play the map so there is no building error that causes me not to be able to play it.

Whats interesting is that if I move the brush up or down one unit it lights correctly. Its when its lined up with the other brushes it renders as black. Does anyone know how to fix this or should I go back to a previous saved version and restart on these areas. Heres the problem. I hope someone here can help. If so thanks you very much!!! Heres the screen.
bspproblemcp7.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wild stab#1: Do you have two brushes for the ceiling instead of just one?
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon9177 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah the cieling is made of multiple brushes. But the subtraction brushes dont overlap or anything. Could this have been made using one brush? Using the slicing tool to edit verticies? Would that have been the way to go here? I'm not postitive but I thought I remembered reading that you cant make concave brushes. Although Im not sure. Anyways I thought it would be just as effecient for optimization as Unreal Engine 2 would subdivide all the brushes into triangles. Its made using one subtraction brush ofr each hallway area. The brushes arent over lapping or anything.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Here is a tip with unreal. It seems to take care of addition subtraction in hierarchical-like manner, so when u change something like that, it doesnt know what happened to that link in the chain, and effs everything up.

To fix your problem, try copying the piece that is giving u fits and moving it off to the side, then delete the original and move the copy back over where the original was , and rebuild.