Home Technical Talk

transferring vert colour between channels in maya

shape
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
shape polycounter lvl 17
Anyone know if there's a way to transfer vertex colour (RGBA) info from one channel to another in maya?

I need to do a bunch of vertex alpha work, but would prefer to work in one of the RGB channels and then copy that info to the alpha channel. That way I can work in shaded wireframe view with opaque objects, rather than trying to work with a large scene of semi transparent objects.

I've looked for scripts, and through the help file.

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, maybe I'm not fully understanding what you need to do here (mainly, how would you paint alpha from within the RGB channel anyhow?), but I don't think so, since surely (as you suggest) the RGBA channel is different from the RGB. I looked at the color set editor and couldn't find the functionality in there to do it. Might exporting and importing alpha attribute maps from within the paint vert color tool work? Or the Transfer Attributes/Copy mesh Attributes stuff in some way?
  • shape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    I'd like to convert say a Red value of 255 to Alpha value of 100, and Red value of 0 to Alpha value of 0.. it'd be best if maps didn't need to be generated or processed as there are a large number of objects that would need conversion.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    This can easily be done with a MEL script.