Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate Captain! Yar!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jRocket polycounter lvl 18
Hi. I'm an artists for the HL2 Mod, Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II. For our next public beta, we implementing a few new classes, one of which is the Pirate Captain. I thought it would be fun to post the work in progress here, to track its progress from modelling to texturing, and, eventually, seeing him in-game. I'll keep updating this, and I hope you all find this interesting.

The original model mesh was done by Orl in Maya, which was based on a concept art by HengisHammer. After it was passed to me, I got him into 3ds max and optimized him enough to get the model to around the budget of 4500 triangles.

pcaptainwip1.jpg

I then UV'd him and took him into Mudbox for high res detailing work.

captainpreview3.jpg

Now I'm going to generate the normal and occlusion maps and start painting him. Stay tuned for more!

Replies

• EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    heh, I love pirates.

I like im, but hey, the cloth on the knees looks a bit off to me, you might want to shiver his timbers or whatever before you call the normalsmap done..
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    this looks great jrocket
    i agree about the folds in the pants, they lack some weight, or tension. tucked into the boot they should create some baggy overlap. aside from that everything looks great, he desperately needs an eye patch and some curls.
  • Sinistar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinistar polycounter lvl 17
    Hey jRocket, this looks familiar. :P

Great work as always, I can't wait to start animating him!
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    That's a nice pirate you got there wink.gif
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    very nice model. i think the crouch area looks a little weird. how did they buckle their pants? i dunno...
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I'm diggin' the high poly sculpt, but I have to agree on the pants folds. I must have missed your previous posts, so welcome to PC! Always nice to see another Pittsburgher. PA seems to be populating the hell out of PC recently. Where in Pittsburgh are you?
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm from Millvale myself, about 10 minutes from downtown. I haven't noticed many polycounters from "da burgh" but I haven't been checking the forums too often. With any luck, I will soon be moving to a town that actually has some lucrative employment opportunities in games laugh.gif

I will work on the pants some more. I was kind of going for a baggy draped down kind of look, but it makes sense that there would be some vertical folds too.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started "normaling" the upper body, using a combination of uv match and raytrace projection methods.

I have also made a static occlusion map that is baked into the color texture. I find it very useful in giving a model a softer shadowed look that is difficult to achieve by hand painting alone. I know from experience that it will need some editing as this will be a deforming character. Where there are shadows in one area, if the character deforms in a certain way, the shadowed area will be lit. Inbetween the legs is a good example of this.

These are all edited screencaps inside of the 3ds max viewport-
    captain_progress.jpg
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    very nice stuff. Really nice normal mapping.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the normal map looks just as good as the high poly. Quality work!
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played around with the pants a bit more and finished the normal mapping.

captain_normalmapped.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks very cool!
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks really good, how do you do that uv match method you talk about?
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's in the projection options under Render to Texture. Just select it instead of Raytrace. The cage can be ignored then, because UV match doesn't use it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    does that mean that the UV's for the low res, and the high res have to be overlayed?

can you explain your process in a bit more detail please? it would really help smile.gif
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, the UV's have to be the same for it to work.

I do this by carefully building the high poly base mesh from the already uv'd low poly mesh. I made sure that none of the tools I use will destroy the UV's. I mostly use the "Connect" feature to add edges, and I try to avoid Chamfering and extruding because they usually ends up changing the UV's. If I move something around, I use the "Preserve UVs" checkbox to make sure there is no distortion. It's kind of a pain in the ass to work this way, but it's not so bad once you get used to it, and the results are worth it.

Unlike with raytrace, the low and high poly meshes do not have to be in the same place in your scene when you bake them.

For added details such as rivets, buttons, ect., I don't worry about putting them in the UV Match. I just use Raytrace for those. When the two maps are compined into photoshop, I 80% of the area usually ends up being raytraced. UV Match is just for fixing up complex geometery.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Great work JRocket! It's great to see how well PVKII is progressing, I've always been a huge fan of this and the half life one. This is a perfect example of how well an occlusion map can highlight details of a normal mapped object.