Home Technical Talk

Zbrush --------> 3dsmax obj import (Taking for eva

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
swampbug polycounter lvl 18
At work some of of guys will make a mesh in max, export it as a Wavefront obj... then take that obj into Zbrush, then export the 300,000 poly object back as an obj for importing into max.

Then in 3dsmax we want to import that obj.

Problem is... Max can take 40 mins -> 2 hrs. to finally load in the high res mesh. MAx seams to be hung up, but its actually constipated from the import.

Once the 300,000 poly object is loaded everything is fine again.(an hour later.. pshhht)

Can anyone help explain this and does anyone have a solution that fits this pipline?

thanks..

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    No idea, try fiddling with your Max OBJ import settings, I import meshes from ZBrush or Mudbox into Max8 with nearly a million polys in under a minute. And my PC has 1gb RAM and a Pentium 3.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    videocard- Radeon?
    really strange, at me 1mln mesh imports under 30 secs
    2gb of ram.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Are you using the hidden layer "trick"?. Max9 imported 2 million (3 in total because of separate objects) with 512MB RAM on my crusty old P3.

Sure as hell didnt take 2hrs.
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I got this at work the other day as well. It's only happened once and it was only when I exported from zbrush at a certain subd level (7). If I went down to 6, perfect, though I didn't try 8. I ran some more test by trying to import the obj into xsi, and then export it back out to max, and this worked like a charm. I even tried Deepuv and it worked as well. So I guess it has something to do with the way zbrush was kicking out the obj. Fortunately it hasn't happened again.