Home General Discussion

Valve Steam Hacked

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
A guy named Maddox apparently hacked into Valve's database and stole customer's account and credit card information from last week, and has threatened to release them publicly dependent upon the response he receives from Valve.
Valve has yet to respond ><

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/19/valves-steam-service-hacked-credit-card-information-obtained/
http://www.dailytech.com/STEAM+Hacked+User+Credit+Cards+May+be+at+Risk/article6972.htm
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39032

Replies

• TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Because hacking didn't get him into enough trouble, the guy is publicly attempting extortion? What a great idea - I think he'll have a lovely time in Pound Me In The Ass prison.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    *does spaz hands*
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    this is almost as sad as the guy who did that...Say hello to Bubba the Anal massager in Prison.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    If I remember, Valve was hacked once while HL2 was in development. It didn't go well for the hacker.

I'll sit back and wait how long this goes on.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Props for hacking in... But he's going to get rammed sooner or later by the authorities once they track him down. It won't be the last we'll hear of this for sure.

-caseyjones
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    It seems like he's Russian - typical communist, just trying to share the wealth, I guess. He's probably going to be harder to track down if this is the case, but hopefully there's still a Pound Me In The Ass gulag in his future.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're so nice, Verm.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Eeeeeeeeeegoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dear god this guy wasn't hugged enough as a child. And read his post http://emp.damage-web.net/viewtopic.php?t=2071 , he does this and then spends the rest of the thread trying to make Valve look like the bad guys.

He bores me about as much as a heavy duty Black & Decker drilling into my skull.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty sure he's Dutch. And a complete and utter moron.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Lovely. Hacking, fine, extortion based on credit card info? Douchebag.

Maybe Valve will do the same thing as with the other guy and offer him a fulltime position with network security. And then have the Feds pick him up on touchdown. Dumbass.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    I feel so bad for the cyber-cafe owner, seems like a decent guy just trying to get by and this hacker is just being a total asshat trying to prove a very immature point.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Really, it doesn't matter where the fuck the guys from. The point here is, he won't be around to play any steam games for a long fucking time after this.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    From halflife2.net

" Credit Card Details Stolen. Are You in Danger?

No, you're not.

Halflife2.net has known about this supposed hacking situation since the day the alleged hacker, MaddoxX, first revealed on his website that he had broken into Valve's extremely sensitive customer information base, and threatened to release thousands of customer credit card information. But because the information was not 100% solid, we felt no inclination to reveal to the public of the matter because speculation on something of this magnitude would have been devastating to Valve in their early stages of investigating the issue - We only notified Valve directly of the situation.

MaddoxX (his website will not be linked) apparently gained access to a third-party website Valve uses to manage their Cyber Cafe customers and their assets. This website contained billing information from the Cafe program, but it has no direct tie with Steam. MaddoxX claimed to be in possession of thousands of Steam user credit card information, and threatened to release them to the public after he "finished preparing the excel sheet." Turns out, he was never in possession of such information - He only had card details of Steam Cyber Cafe owners.

Valve has released an official statement:

There has been no security breach of Steam. The alleged hacker gained access to a third party site that Valve uses to manage the commercial partners in its cyber cafe program. This cyber cafe billing system is not connected to Steam.

We are working with law enforcement agencies on this matter, and encourage anyone with more information to email us at [Email]Catch_A_Thief@valvesoftware.com.[/Email] "