Home Technical Talk

Mudbox ---> Max import question

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
Can someone here tell me why does Mudbox imported object always look faceted when imported back in Max ?

Object in Mudbox
Mudbox1.jpg

Object imported in Max from Mudbox

Mudbox2.jpg

Is there a way to have my Max imported object look a little less faceted ? i know Zbrush doesn't do that. You can import your stuff back in clean with no flaws.

Thanks people.

Replies

• StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either go to editable poly, select all polys and assign to 1 smoothing group, or do autosmooth. Or alternatively apply a smooth modifier and do the same.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    zbrush does the same as far as i know. i always have to convert to Epoly and throw a smoothing group on there if i want.

woah...Stjoris beat me to it.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i put a "Meshsmooth" modifier over it it looks ok.

Do you always have to re-smooth what is imported ? because image the slowness of your computer if everything is re-smoothed over and over again.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    No, not a meshsmooth modifier, a smooth modifier. Then just click the "1" button in that panel of numbers in the Smooth modifier rollout.
    If you look at the silhouette of your object in mudbox and in max, you'll see it's exactly the same - also if you right-click in the viewport in Mudbox you can change the rendering style to faceted (turn off the smooth checkbox) and you'll see it's exactly the same geometry.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woow! Meshsmooth and smooth aren't the same, ok i got it right now.

Works like a real charm, thank you gentlemen smile.gif
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question i see there is the autosmooth checkbox, can i just put all my objects with autosmooth "on" instead of a smoothing group for normal mapping ?

will this have a bad effect when out putting a normal map ?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Auto smooth will smooth an object based on the angles between faces, you probably don't want to use this for normalmapping, it's usually much better to just use 1 smoothing group for your whole lowpoly object. It will produce a better normal map in most cases.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StJoris, Fritz and Mop , per128 thank you for this amazing help. You get good explanations like that only here at Polycount with the most caring people.

I ask many questions like that because i just resently started under 3dsMax and so far im in love with it.