Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The next challenge (warhammer 40 k characters)

Replies

• seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I thought that horus was tainted by chaos and was warped and skewed, I just looked at the old vinal painting and just went based off that , I really feel now I should have done a crapload of more research frown.gif

oh well live and learn

yea everyone and there aunt and uncle are really calling me on the heads, I really need to go back and do my homework on alot of these, as you guys can tell im self teaching myself alot of anatomy, I really wish my progress for my anatomy was as speedy as my texturing progress has been lately. Once I finish up horus's head texturing I will go back this week and start fixing up saganauis head and the heads of horus (I know everyone will tell me some things they see wrong with it)

well heres another update on the armor and im finally getting to the heads right now.

ohsnapupdate.jpg

also vig what do you mean by a gradient shader? as far as max shaders go?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

also vig what do you mean by a gradient shader? as far as max shaders go?

[/ QUOTE ]
    GradientSample.jpg
    It's a blend material that uses a gradient as a mask. You blend between your defuse texture and a color gradient. To get a final defuse texture just use the render to texture feature.

GradientExample.jpg
    Normally you want it more subtle than this but I cranked up the blend on the gradient so you can see the difference clearly. It can even be a dirt map, or masked out in some areas. The mask can be whatever you want it to be.

GradientSample01.jpg
    Most of the time to get a good gradient blend, I end up assigning a new "Unwrap UVW" modifier and setting its channel to 2. Then apply a planar map that covers the model from head to toe.

GradientSample02.jpg
    Then in the gradient and gradient mask I set those to use the 2nd UV channel.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Well I read what you guys said earlier about locations of color and all, the 3 heads on the bottom are supposed to be dead so I had a color chart of a zombie picture I found. well heres where horus is at now

finishedguy.jpg