Home General Discussion

Interesting article about Street Musicians and Art

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    That was a really good article. Fun read.

Not really surprised at the outcome though. Not only are people frequently exposed to masterful musical works through the world of mp3's and the internet, I could easily see myself not stopping or giving him much thought if I had somewhere to be. Too bad though.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting, yes, but logical, not so much. Like Aesir said, we are exposed to amazing music an awful lot. Also, when people are walking in a place like that they will have their minds on the day ahead of them, not be paying much attention to those around them.

They also wouldn't have much time, they have places to be, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

They would also be moving fairly quickly through, meaning that unless it was at a particularly intense part of the music, they would hear only a few small parts of it, not enough to be able to tell the quality in all likely hood.

I'd also like to point out that they guy made 32 bucks in an hour, that's not a bad wage. :P
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, but 20 of those bucks was from a chick that knew who he was.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    nah, they didn't count the 20 from the chick who recognized him.

Read this article a couple days ago. Heartbreaking. Wish there were street musicians where I worked. They're one of the main reasons why I enjoy running around the tunnels of Boston.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Read this article a couple days ago. Heartbreaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call this article heartbreaking wink.gif I though it had an incredibly annoying "self pitiing" "oh what has the world come to" kind of undertone.

It was a nice kind of experiment, but ultimatly designed to fail, thus working as a kind of self fulfilling prophecy and as a consolidation of the opinions the author and his crew had beforehand anyways.
  • Squid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    "It was 7:51 a.m" <-- rookie mistake right there. 11am-2pm are definately the best hours.

Nice to know that i used to earn 10 times as much as Joshua Bell wink.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    it was heartbreaking because I wasn't able to be there at that time. I couldn't give a buffalo penis for the general art appreciation of the masses. I would have loved to have gotten a free show, though.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "It was 7:51 a.m" <-- rookie mistake right there. 11am-2pm are definately the best hours.

Nice to know that i used to earn 10 times as much as Joshua Bell wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, even evening rush hour is better than morning rush hour. i'm really not surprised. i see a ton of performers in the subways and everything, but for the most part they arent very good and dont feel it, as was said by some dude in the article. you can make a fair bit of money doing something like that though, you dont even need to be as skilled as bell. i see tons of people playing just open chord protest songs that are rediculously easy and cliche and often quite bad that still have like 40 bucks in their guitar case.