Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback

Sayanora
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone, I've finally managed to get my portfolio off the ground and was looking for some critiques and generally helpful feedback.

There aren't many pieces up as I don't feel like a lot of what I've done is portfolio material, so I apologize for that. Anyway, here's my url below:

www.dougkavanagh.net

Replies

• coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Great-lookin' stuff you have there, but if you want a position as an environment artist, you should put up complete environments. The rule of thumb is an old piece (ancient time period), a modern piece, and one set in the future.

The objects you have now show that you can make vehicles and perhaps futuristic props, but show some understanding of composition, lighting, consistency, and all that good stuff.
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    i like most of the work, it all seems laid out pretty well. Only suggest using the blank space on the side more...get rid of the scrolling. Small but it shows off your talents well enough. What do you use render them out?
  • The Keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool looking site! One thing I would suggest is make your images open up in a different window. Otherwise the viewer might close the window and have to find your website again.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Your site looks cool, as does your work.

Downside i it's three pieces presenting good, but generic metal things. Make more pieces with more variety, and you'll be set.

And a resume.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Page is looking good! I like the way the graphic came out. Id o agree with chris however. Some Wood and stone work would be a great addition. I dont think full environments are REQUIRED... but they may help. Especially if you light them well.

The normal map on that landing pad came out kind of flat, did you project it or paint a height map to get those details? If it is painted you may want to tweek the blue channel to get a little more out of the normal map.

Good show of the skills though. Keep doing what your doing. smile.gif
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for all of your comments everyone, glad to see I've built up some interest in my work smile.gif

I'm certainly taking everyone's advice regarding more variety and working on a medieval piece as we speak.

Sean, I got your email. Talk to you soon smile.gif