Home Technical Talk

Maya Rigging Help

leg.jpg

The problem im having is that I have no idea how to attach and make the shocks move and line up with each other to make it look like they are compressing and expanding while the legs move. If anyone can help me I would owe you my life because not even my college professors can tell me how.

This is done in maya so I would prefer methodology based on maya's workflow.

Replies

• FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    You could set up a simple rig for the shocks only (like 1 joint at each end) and have those joints move based on a expression or driven key. So the middle joint on the finger thing would be the driver - when it rotates, the shocks compress/expand.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    You can do that with aim constraints. Change the pivot points of the shock rod and cylinder so that they end up where the shock would naturally pivot. Basically at each end of the shock. Now select the rod, then the cylinder and apply an aim constraint. Then do the other side. Select the cylinder, then the rod and apply another aim constraint. You may have to play around with the World up vector settings when you make the constraint so everything lines up ok. So when you're done. The rod is constrained to aim and the cylinder and the cylinder is constrained to look at the rod.

Now to attach it to the rest of the arm. Make two locater for each end of the shock. Parent each locater to the joint that will be moving them. Now select your shock rod and point constrain it to the locater, and point constrain the shock cylinder to its locater.