Home› Technical Talk

Need Help....again...

M3anBONE_sj_
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
M3anBONE_sj_ polycounter lvl 18
Okay, Zbrush is killing me with this strange triangle streaking across my normal map, again. I had it fixed earlier - only cuz I recreated a new high-res version of my model. This new high-res version of my model was working fine until tonight when I created a new normal map from it using Zbrush's Zmapper. I don't understand why this keeps happening and how I could fix it. If anyone could help, i'd really appreciate it.

normalmap2.jpg

normalmap2color.jpg

Replies

• systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you sure your UVs aren't overlapping anywhere or tangled? try baking the normal map in some other software and see if it does the same sort of thing..

you recreated the high-res model? if anything, i'd think the problem is with the low-res one. perhaps i'm not making any sense, though. good luck sorting it out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like ray misses maybe? I'm not familiar with how Maya flags missed rays. In Max you can have them show up as red.

Normally missed rays are caused by the control cage clipping into the low poly, that is if it is missed rays... Any Maya experts know if you can check and tweak your projection control cage? In Max I would just reset it and adjust the push value up till its at a safe distance.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like a uv was just over the border and got moved to the other side of the map, causing a long streak.
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm does your lowpoly have more than one uv channel maybe?