Home Technical Talk

Maya Transparency Depth Sorting problem

I have been trying to to apply this alpha transparency to my model in maya. I am trying to get my parts that are supposed to be invisible to render in realtime in the maya viewport. Problem is when I apply it things that are supposed to be hidden by the body like straps, arms and legs render on top of the body as well as rending ontop of each other. Is there anyway to solve my problem? I am stumped and about ready to just give up on a transparency map in maya.

Replies

• Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    IICR... In your viewport options, Shading -> Polygon Transparency Sorting?

Should relieve some of your alpha woes.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    transparency sorting has always been a bit buggered in maya, i think it's supposed to be fixed in 8, but i've not checked.
    if uly's suggestion doesn't work, you could try detaching the polys that have transparency applied
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Polygon Transparency Sorting appears in Maya 8 but doesn't work if you've got high quality rendering turned on (so no normal maps in viewport). If you're using an earlier version or want to use high quality rendering then you've pretty much just got to deal with it. If you've got a coder they might be able to work some magic on a viewport replacement that lets everything work happily together. Maya 8 is set up to make that relatively simple.
  • PolyPutty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yah I tried all those things, guess I am stuck with it. Guess I just won't apply the transparency in maya.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    For display purposes, create 2 materials: one with alpha and one without and apply them accordingly. At least the alpha'd stuff won't draw on top on non-alpha parts that way.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Detach all the alpha bits and reattach them from the inside out. The chuncks added last will get the higher vertex numbers and will be drawn last. Bling!
  • DarkStryder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try going to your shaders options and go to the Hardware Texturing section. In the Texture Channel drop down, select Combined textures. This should solve your problem (you may have to be in high quality render mode).

Hope this helps