Home General Discussion

Copyrights

Gilbert
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Gilbert polycounter lvl 18
Hi folks, it's been a while that I'm out of the loop. I'd like to know what are the latest policies about making pluggin player models of known characters. Which brands doesn't like us to make models from their universe? (like Marvel, Fox, etc)

What about Nintendo characters?

Thanks,

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen plenty of Mario models in the past that never got a single C&D. Just Marvel, Nick Park and plagiarism related incidents leading to model removal.

A single player model is not a mod project, so the risk of getting a C&D over a piece of mere 3d fan art is a lot less. Marvel still are bitter over who makes their characters, though, even Stan Lee is getting pissed off by them
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Has there ever been a time where a company told an individual to not make a custom model? I thought that was only told to single player mods where their mod is trying to recreate the gameplay experiences of a pre-existing franchise?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Yes i think Marvel was pretty harsh about even models, werent they pulled from Polycount?
    They are stupidly over protective of their "awesome" characters.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Dragon Ball Z should be a safe bet.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    too bad there are a million and one dbz mods already :P
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Has there ever been a time where a company told an individual to not make a custom model? I thought that was only told to single player mods where their mod is trying to recreate the gameplay experiences of a pre-existing franchise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember someone (tpe?) getting a CnD from Aardman for a Wallace PPM for Q3A a few years back.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    I think you can safely assume the following:

Creating a 3D version of a licensed character for your personal portfolio is not only acceptable, but also a good idea. It shows your ability to work with other people's concepts and IP.

Distributing that same asset online (in any manner or for any use) is a bad idea and will eventually earn you (at the very least) a C&D letter from someone's lawyer.

Whenever you want to use and redistribute someone else's IP for any purpose, you should have a legal document in hand (non-electronic, if possible) from the appropriate person at the IP's owner.
  • Gilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilbert polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the replies people. I've created and released something like 20 character models based on "known" characters and never received any C&D letter. Asking the permission is not a bad idea unfortunately Mr. Gunpei Yokoi passed away in 1997.

My question was also about the actual Polycount policies. I wanted to know if since the problem they had with Marvel, if they were more sensitive about copyright infringement in general.

I perfer to ask this before spending 50 hours on a character model!

Thanks,

Alc