Home Technical Talk

Problem with Max...plz help!

Hi all,

For some bizarre reason, when I open up the UVW unwrap I am unable to use shortcuts, for example if I press D which should detach edges, it will instead carry out the action for the main screen, i.e. disable view.

I know I have pressed something by mistake, but I just don’t know what. I am using max 9 if that helps.

If you can help me thank you kindly, and if not thank you kindly for taking the time to read my post!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There's a button somewhere called Keyboard Shortcut Override (or a similar name) - try searching the Max help for "keyboard override", it should help you out.
    Chances are you just hit that button (it's somewhere on the toolbar) by accident.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's the little white/grey button with a T on it, just about the middle of the top toolbar. Just to the left of the Little magnet(snaps toggle) button.

If that doesn't work check your key bindings you might have switched it to something else because it shouldn't be deactivating your viewport if you have the editor open and the shortcut key is correctly assigned.
    Top Drop Down Menu > Customize > Customize User Interface > Group > Unwrap UVW
    You also need to have the Unwrap UVW editor open for those shortcut keys to work. While you are in there you might want to set any other key shortcuts you might find handy. It will tell you if it is bound to something else.

Lastly do not use "Detach Edge Verts(Ctrl-D)" while in edge mode use "Break (Ctrl-B)" It does what I think you want to do, break your selection along that edge. Detach edge verts is only for selections that include verts, edge mode does not select any verts but only edges.

Since "Break" works in all three modes I use it instead of Detach Edge Verts.
  • greyhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks a lot...that worked!!!! I knew it was something stupid I did. Again many thanks to both of you.

Oh yeah Vig, I only use the detach edge verts while I am in Face sub-object mode.

Anyway, cheers guys for the quick responses!