Home Technical Talk

Holes in mesh in Game Engine

Hey guys,

I'm trying to make a model of Davy Jones for a pirates of the Caribbean game (yeah, I know it's old). I have almost finished the mesh - more or less just tweaking at this point, but when I load it into the conversion tool created for the game, there are holes in the mesh. Some of these holes fill when viewed from different angles. I dismissed it as probably being a problem with the Normals, and continued tweaking away - but when I checked the Normals - they were all pointing in the right direction. Any idea what the problem could be? Here is a picture:

ProblemSolving.jpg

Ignore the skeleton being in the wrong place- I haven't moved the model to fit the skeleton yet.

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Exporting to .obj and importing back into max fixed similar issues for me. The mesh was fine in max, but in the engine some of the normals were flipped.
  • Kaivai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm - so it is the normals... I wonder what would happen if I just reversed the normals that are being flipped when they are put into the game engine... I suppose I should paint the UV map first though - otherwise it would probably get really confusing.

Were you ever able to get past this problem?
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    If you are a max user, a simple reset xform would fix the problem, it just flips "bad" faces the other way, those would be inverted in the game. So now all you have to do is select them and flip them back the correct way.

But in some cases i've had to use the obj method because xform didnt work.
  • Kaivai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I'm using Maya - but I have friends that are using Max - so I'll export it as VRML 2.0 so that they can read it, and ask them really, really nicely to reset xform. Unless you have any suggestions for Maya. Maybe there is Xform in Maya? I'll look into it.

Thank you very, very much for your help by the way - If this model does get up and running it's largely from your help. Thanks!
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delete history, Freeze Transformations, and Polygons->Cleanup (check the help file for tool description). Also, Normals->Set to Face. And go to yoru attribute editor for the object, Render Settings, and uncheck "Double Sided."
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Delete history, Freeze Transformations, and Polygons->Cleanup (check the help file for tool description). Also, Normals->Set to Face. And go to yoru attribute editor for the object, Render Settings, and uncheck "Double Sided."

[/ QUOTE ]

Do all of what professor420 said, but also triangulate before export. For example, the Unreal exporter plugin used with Maya has an option to auto-triangulate your static meshes on export for you. It doesn't have that option for characters, so you have to triangulate manually or you lose half of each quad.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Normal>unify is what you need.