Home General Discussion

Things to do to improve work speed..

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Hi I just noticed that when I'm listening to something like a tutorial it gets me really motivated and lets me concentrate on the task I have to do and not think about anything else. Yeah I do not listen to the tutorial... When I used to be in school and some professors used to give lectures this would happen, which was annoying since I wanted to listen to the lecture and not do work, but I would get a huge craving to create art instead. Anyone else do weird or unexpected things to get in "the zone". This has been a problem since I do work remotely, especially when I get to the part of the process I dislike. wink.gif Let me know what you think, thanks.

Alex

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    improve work speed or concentration? smile.gif

i like keeping a checklist of tasks to take care and give myself a cut off time, so as not to spend too much time fiddling around with unimportant details

take 10-15 minute breaks. gotta lose time to make time smile.gif

and, shut off the internet connection
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    take speed

if your dealer has run out, coffee and a powerful set of headphones get me going. Spliced with ciggie breaks.
    checklists are good, make them on paper. you know, the white stuff we get from trees. How antiquated. smile.gif
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

and, shut off the internet connection

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, Same, I have a nasty habit of checking my e-mail and polycount every time I get something really minor accomplished. I save hours of time by just unplugging my ethernet cable.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I'm addicted to Polycount myself, I find myself checking the site about ten times a day. wink.gif Unplugin the internet is going to have to be a must and I guess I'll start making lists and not lose them. wink.gif

Alex
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    I had a sign (basically a post-it note stuck on a chopstick) that read "fuck off and leave me alone". I really must replace it ...
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    hmm I think not posting in this thread will probably help my productivity.......DOH
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well the fact that you were reading the forums I think is part of the problem Bruticus. wink.gif I think Snowfly's point about taking scheduled breaks is something I rarely do. I usually work eight to 20 hrs straight non stop once I find my sweet spot. The rest of the world ceases to exist and I just start cranking. I hate stopping since getting there is pretty hard. I don't work in the game industry full time so just getting in the mood to it is a bitch. Thank for the feedback, it helps.

Alex