Home Technical Talk

Photoshop batch question.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
So I would like to put my web address in all my images is there any way I can take a layer out of one image and batch it into a bunch more images?

Replies

• SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Can you do a
    - paste
    - flatten layers
    - save (over original)

batch?

Your images would all have to be the same relative size for that to work.
    Ideally you'd want to paste the entire layer and not just the text bit. As photoshop would paste it directly in the center of the image... or nowhere near where you'd want the text to apear.
    So for a 6x8 image, you'd have a 6x8 layer with everything but the text transparent.

Thinking about it... seems like it might work. Or not.
    Worth a shot.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    You want to make your action in image ready not photoshop. Image ready has the File > place command, where you can specify the distance from edges of the image. (photoshop has the place command, but in 7, it only works on vector files)

poop.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    batch?

[/ QUOTE ]

File > Automate > Batch

Allows you to pick actions and run them on groups of files. It can be used for things like color correction, sizing, applying water marks, filters. If you can make an action for it you can batch it. I wish it was as handy as XnView at renaming files, but whatca gunna do.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I know what a batch is.
    'batch?' was part of the intial response. Not a seperate question on its own smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotcha. Then my response is for the complete newb that wonder into this thread.

I didn't see an avatar so I thought oh great this guy doesn't know what batch is for, will the noob parade ever end... I didn't even read the name. I also didn't make the connection it was you SouL =.
    Maybe I'm too visual and need to pay more attention to names or maybe you need to put your avatar back...

see how I flip that around on you? When I put my foot in my mouth
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig is a noob. laugh.gif
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Right the original question spawned because I was using the duplicate layer out of one file into another so I would get exact placement but photoshop records document names. I wish actions could be recorded with some sort of relative flag.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've have relative Actions like this, right in PS itself. I open the file with the src layer, then I open the file to apply it to, THEN I start recording the Action. After recording, I close the latter file, leaving the src file open, then batch the rest. Works great, since the Action just records switching to Next document and Previous document instead of actual filenames.

But when I had to lay down a watermark on files of different size & aspect ratios, I used this freeware app instead. Worked great.
    http://www.unidreamtech.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10&Itemid=55
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those interested I've got it working with CS2 with any size document. Use the place command to get your watermark from an external file, select all layers align top, layers align left, then move it by hand how far out from the border you want it. Put that in a batch and it should work perfectly.