Home Technical Talk

Maya wont let me switch tools!

Ok just installed Maya and an Unreal plugin, (self installing plugin). I can create shapes and use the move tool on the shape...but when i try to switch to tools like scale, nothing happens!

Specs
Maya PLE 7.0
Newest Unreal Actor X from the unreal site

I didn't tinker with it before I put on the plugin so Im not sure if thats the problem

has anyone else had this occur?

Please help me! Thank you for your time

Replies

• Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    I can't remember if I had your particular problem, but I can tell you Maya absolutely enjoys busting itself in various ways. Sometimes your scale will randomly skew itself and go crazy, othertimes your UV tools will disappear, and the one universal fix is a reinstall. It'll take less time than trying to figure out what it decided to gibble on its own, or where you messed up.

Then again, it might be really simple. Time is money.
  • animatr
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    check to make sure your caps lock is NOT on. it will fuck maya faster than anything, which, is super ridiculous, but always check that first. I swear to you, 9 times out of 10, it is caps lock
  • BigO
    Offline / Send Message
    BigO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah Caps lock gets me all the time.
  • SkullboX
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Jup my first guess would be caps lock, if that doesn't work just delete all your preferences (from my documents/maya I think) and restart, it should reset everything back to default.
  • 3D-j
    Caps locks off, reset ui interface, reset tool options, delete history on mesh, center pivot, clean up geometry using non-manifold geometry only, duplicate the mesh beforehand and even try this same process on the duplicated mesh. if you were modeling and never deleted history on the mesh it can corrupt the file. Do the tools work in other scenes or is it just the one you are in at the moment?