stretch the buildings width slightly, its a bit square compared to the concept
unwrap
make sweet sub-d love to the buildings base
then bend it over the couch and hump it without a rubber in Mudbox
texture
render
post[/list]

Voila!

PS: The text box you type in for posting is insanely small here. I just noticed this now, wtf!

Replies

• Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great Adam, Im really looking forward to seeing what you do to it with mudbox and texturing, is that an animal skin hanging on the wall, if so that is going to look awesome as well.
    Question, I know Im pretty much a noob, but I like to chamfer some edges here and there on building edges, cause I think that nothing (short of knives and razors) have a complete sharp or 90degree edge. What do you think?

Otherwise, CANT wait to see this done! All the props that you've placed in (from the concept) really make my eye travel. Looks great!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    For a building that's supposed to be made of brick and plaster/mud, you sure made it perfectly straight...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Grey: Sure, chamfer away! I may do that on this mesh but I am planning on beveling the hard corners in the highpoly mesh and let the normals handle it.

Xenobond: I sure did! :P Haha point taken, I'll see what I can come up with.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure you want to leave the normalmaps handle all the round angles man, plus beveling and cutting parts of the edges can help you making it more uneven

keep it up man smile.gif that's a cool project
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! I really like the destructed pillars and plants on top.

Even though it isn't on the concept I think it would help the ground transition if you created a piece of thick trim to run around the outside of the building. It would also help break up the straightness of the wall shapes.

Also in the concept it looks like there is a road/big brick texture in front of the door that fades into sand? I think a well painted decal would work nicely? If the sand is disturbed like someone swept it or it was moved due to foot traffic in and out, it will help guild players to the entrance a little bit more.

Looking awesome, keep plugin away!
  • redmond_david
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redmond_david polycounter lvl 16
    I've been looking at this thread everyday in the hopes of seeing some more screens! This is looking really nice, i'm curious as how you will close up the environment though.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Vince: Bevelled and cut already my friend - thanks :P

Vig: I think I can create a decent ground transition through the textures. If I have trouble though I'll definitely create a trim.. good pointer. As for the road section, good eye. I hadn't caught that before but I think I can pull it off with a good decal. Or I could do that particular part in mudbox and mud in the traffic details. Thanks for the comments I was hoping you'd chime in on this one.

redmond_david: Hey thanks man :P I'll have some more stuff once the texture happens. But before I do that I still have to unwrap all those pieces and do their high poly work. Close up the environment? I won't be - the focus is the weapon shop - the surrounding pieces are just support. I've got an idea as to how to wrap it up though but I'll save it for the final shots. Thanks!
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin great.

Initial crits would be-

I'd try beveling the edges of the building ever so slightly, it should give it a subtle rounding. Not sure how well a normal map can convey rounded edges on a 90 degree angle.

Those top pillar things look too straight in the model, might want to add some geo and make some slight adjustments to them, give them subtle angle changes.

Is the dealio hanging on the left side of the building suppose to be that dirty area on the concept? seems a bit too dynamic for the concept.

Lastly, the big rocks are too low poly. They look alright now, but once they're textured and contrasting with the sky their low-poly-ness will stick out like a sore thumb.

Looking forward to the rest, good sir.

edit- You replied while I was typing mine :P
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I would strongly avoid those big boxy shapes - In general, any angle over 45-50 degrees does not play nicely with normal maps. You have two options with a 90 degree angle, either have a hard edge and get visible seams, or have a soft edge and have vertex normals be so smoothed that normal map is heavily distorted and shows improper lighting in the final model.

You really should add a slight chamfer to the hard edges. It will help you get much better looking lighting and normal maps.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    For next-gen you can almost certainly afford polys to even cut in sections for where bricks are missing or whatever on the corners, i would chamfer them also as mentioned above. The normalmaps on the 90 degree angle are just going to leave a harsh cut on the hard edge.

Also chip away at some of the edges, and add some edge loops for the top pillar thingies and make them wonky a bit, nothing is completely straight in the concept.

Some foliage growing near the top right on the trims like the concept would be a nice touch too, really breaks up the trim which will no doubt tile at least a little wink.gif

Definitely good progress though dude keep it up! laugh.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking nice, Ive done a few similar buildings recently and id say that its always good to get a bit of variation into the sillohette to avoid it looking too square. maybe create the building mesh with a more grid like topology, gret for adding vertex variation in both form and colour.

the main structure may work nice with some good layered materials

keep it up (lot of textures to make there!)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'll kill a few birds here and say that I've beveled a lot of the mesh. I was already planning on doing this to a degree but took it further than that due to the responses in here. So thanks everyone for that - its really helped. I had already cut in some chipped areas about an hour after posting the above image so that is in there as well. I'm well aware of normal maps fudging on 90 degree angles - but only when its deep enough detail. If its simple surface detail its fine. This build has a lot of damage on its corners that is deep so I'll most definitely be cutting in the shapes of where the chunks are just like in my previous projects.

The treatment on the left side of the building is for IVY, so I can easily copy that to the top right as well. Good call on that Electro.

Thanks a lot everyone. The next time I post there'll be textures to show which'll mean that its been unwrapped and the high poly stuff is done.

Woo!

Edit: Oh and I also added in a sign indicating it as a weapons shop wink.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I lied about not posting until textured..
    Just updated the mesh and its now final. No more work will be done on it unless its for unwrapping.

weaponshop_WIP03.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    This would look really nice if you would texture it, PUTZ!

Looking great so far, geometry is sticking quite close to the concept. Can't wait to see more.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, not bad Adam, although I'd say you've missed out on some of the most basic major shapes of the building in the concept, which are part of what made it more interesting.
    Basically you seem to have pulled in the silhouette too much - if you look closer at the concept you'll see that the massive lintel over the whole front of the building is jutting out a lot more than how you've modelled it. This means that no matter how much you rough up and jitter the verts on the sides of the building to make it seem less straight-edged, the overall volume of the building is still much more box-like than the concept suggests.

Basically the concept looks fairly squat because the top appears wide and heavy, while in your model you've lost the weight and volume at the top of the building which is making it look quite boring and boxy instead of heavy and solid.

Also I find your poly usage quite strange, it's varying drastically across "mapobjects" (like the pots, plants and armour pieces). It's not bad as such, it just looks like it could be better.

Also, I don't think the way you've set up the ivy there will look very good - not only is it fairly high poly for the result you will get, but also will probably use up a lot of UV space - I'd probably just do a simple set of planes for the ivy creepers, then have a few slightly more complex alpha planes with ivy leaves on them rotated out from the wall more - that will give it a lot more depth and make better use of the polys there.

Something else I just noticed is that the way you've cut in the "damage" around the top, makes it look more like the building is melting slightly than it's had pieces fall or crumble off. I think in your quest to get away from straight edges you've gone too far in the smooth direction, especially on the far right crenellation. If you look at the concept, you'll see it has a hard edge on the corner which looks like bricks or mortar have crumbled and fallen away, while yours looks like someone's had a go at a block of cheese with a blowtorch.

Those are just the main issues which I think are stopping this from being a really nice environment piece at this stage - and I'd definitely recommend sorting them out before moving on to texturing, because no matter how nice you make the textures, the underlying problems of shape and proportion will still be there, and will bring the quality down.

Keep it up though, should look nice when it's done! smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Paul, great feed back man. I agree with the majority of it and will make some changes. Looks like I'm not done pushing its verts.

Thanks smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    A little update.

I've began to texture this little beast and I am having quite a bit of fun with it. I threw this little comp together to give an idea of where I am heading with it. One thing that this doesn't show is the reflections in the metal I am going to be doing with this piece via a cubemap. Also, I am planning on a closer angle to get some good use out using high(er) resolution textures.

So have a look below, just keep in mind that pretty much everything in here that is lighting or backdrop related will be different. I'll be doing a proper lighting pass (with Vahl's help!) and throwing together a more fitting background I'm pretty happy with how things are going and am looking forward to the closer/tighter shots.

And yah - the "Sale!" is just temporary wink.gif I'll put something more fitting in when its not 2:40AM :P

weaponshop_WIP04.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looking nice adam ! mind showing a viewport capture ?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Oh my, an update. I had almost given up hope. :]

Lookin' good man. I'm glad you said something about the sale sign, since that was the one thing that really stood out as out of place for me. Aside from that, keep on rockin' it, and stop making us wait a month between updates! :]
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice man:), not too sure about the little spiky trees though.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! Excellent colors and setting choices.

Crits:
    - The ivy/vine growth seems too transparent. On another track, what about running some procedural Ivy and baking it into a texture?
    - I "kind of" expect some nifty lighting coming thru the window in the back of the shop?

Looking great!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    i'm digging it man. Here is what I see so far

Crits:

The helmet on the ground and the body armor in the front leaning up against the wall doesn't have any smoothing groups.

The trees look really flat and fake. Maybe just clone a few more of the branches and rotate them so they aren't so flat looking.

Keep it up and show some more updates soon.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    haha adam U noob, you can't smooth a 50 tris model booo
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I usually don't have anything smoothed until I texture it. So boo to both of you! muwahahaha!

I'll work on the trees, my budget can take more.

Vig - Yah man, with the help of Vahl here I should have some stellar lighting on this piece. So ignore the shitty grainy comp job on the image above.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Is this just straight diffuse or does it use other passes?

I would suggest adding some broader detail to your textures, they're a bit too fine and dont really contain and medium or large detail in them, especially the main texture of the building.

The carvings on top of the building could use some more contrast, maybe make them appear more sunken in or more dirt has gathered on them, they're kind of hard to read currently.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam boo on you! haha You smoothed the shields that aren't textured. I got you.

No really looking good. Where are the updates?

You doing AO passes?

I would also add some small rock pieces or parts of the building to the ground and scatter it around a bit.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So my home computer is on the fritz :\ Until I pick up a new machine I'll get some work done on this at work and work on some lighting tests.

The next assets in line that I'd like to do are the weapons and armour and I'm going to use a cube map for their reflections. I'll be using these lighting tests to get a feel for the final cubemap pass and an idea as to what the reflections could look like.

weaponshop_lighttest01.jpg

A few quick notes:

-The dust is a (shitty) paintover and looks more muddy than dusty :\
    -Athe extension of the frame that goes out to the right is also a paint over
    -Wanted to see how it'd look with some dust being kicked up around the base and entrance of the shop
    -I will probably go with more close-up shots than far away so don't consider this angle to be the final angle or the final composition.

What I'd change if I went with this\ setup:
    -tone the dust down so it doesn't hide the pot assets like it is there in the foreground
    -change it to something more like dust blowing in wind, rather than looking like soft mud which was obviously over-layed atop of the image
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks amazing!, really nice job on the lighting, I think the interior wall looks a bit empty and could do with some more detail, whats your budget?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks amazing!, really nice job on the lighting, I think the interior wall looks a bit empty and could do with some more detail, whats your budget?

[/ QUOTE ]

30k tri and I'll stop. I'm at about 26k now. I agree on the back wall and would like to do silk tapestry hanging from it. Also, rolled up carpet, parchment, clearly marked oil barrels, etc.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    win! I love the composition and overall feel. The only thing that I don't think fits is that "sale!" sign. It seems too modern and campy to fit with the piece. The lighting is superb as well.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Different take on the one above with the help of my AD..
    weaponshop_lighttest01b.jpg
    Just testing colours, comp and such now so nothing higher res this time around.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh this is looking pretty nice Adam.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the contrast between the warm colours inside and the blue on the stone smile.gif
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its interesting to see some of your workflow for post effects, are these paintovers wich you adjust your scene lights to suit?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the comments smile.gif

Yah these are just comp jobs to get a better picture of what I'd like to have the scene look like in the end. In the end the only thing that should be done in post is any vignette I may want to do, slight colour corrections, the sky, and render info. I'm going to try and do the dust at the scene level and not in post.

I should have a couple of more tonight then will move on to the armour and weapons.
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, this is looking amazing Adam, its come along nicely. I really liked the color test as well. Looking forward to seeing it finished! Great job man.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Done! It's late so for now I'm just posting this picture - I'll follow up over the weekend with the rest of the goods, including closer angles to make good use of the large textures.

HIGH RES VERSION
    weaponshop_1b.jpg

In hind-sight I chose the backdrop image rather quickly and should have at LEAST flipped it so that the clouds were catching the orange lighting from the top. And the ground itself could have used more attention, but really this piece was about the shop so I'm too worried about it.

I'm going to try and take a break for a while to finish up something else I'm working on that is NOT a portfolio addition but am anxious to show everyone.

However, if I do decide do another project I'm thinking this.

One thing worth noting is almost all texture photo sourcing was taken from CGTextures.com. Big thanks to Marcel for having that site around.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hm...i liked more the one with cold lightning outside and hot lightning inside, that gives the iompression someone is working and doing something rather than a boring "im a house in a cool sunset" style frown.gif nontehless looks cool man, congrats !
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Johny about the lighting, but that aside it looks great man!

-caseyjones
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    The shop itself is looking cool. Great amount of work there.

I agree with Johny and Casey about the lighting. I also liked the test 2 lighting.

One thing that bothers me about this one is the lack of light internally for the shop. The shadows below the soffit look really dark as well. There is a low sun hitting the front of the joint but not much evidence of bounced light.

Even though your calling it done. This may give you some ideas for lighting. Sorta a middle ground from your test 2 and your recent render

Tuscan Villa Aaron CDS
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    well for one thing its pretty boring.

And its like a box!. No broken bits, no missing part, No interesting dirt, (other then random metalic dust noisy on everything . generic UHOH) A box on a plane with generic metalbrick texture YAOUZA!

The render make it feel like its windy, but all the weapons are straight Lol.

I like thoses plants thing growing on the brick tho and that wheel a bit .
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I've seen this coming a long way since the first wireframe but I still think the render before this one was better executed, it also showed somehign that was going on inside the shop as if in use...now it looks unused.

Following up on what others said, I remember you had some rocks and other objects filling the surroundings, if you had some of those showing in the bg would make it seem more in place...but for this shot it would make it cluttered.

It's great work
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    EDIT: SEE BELOW!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    It could just be me...but it looks like the horizon line of the background image doesn't match the horizon line suggested by your 3d model, the background mountains looks like they're placed too high.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Aye, incredibly blue now that I see it on this monitor. D'oh, update later.

"Done", pfft. Adding more colour and toning the blues ala this:
    weaponshop_lighttest01b.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i would try to achieve that look exactly adam, seems day , yet night, and that was beautifull.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Didn't quite go 'exactly' with the paint over above, but referenced it often.

Wire shots tomorrow.

weaponshop_2b.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    I really like the look of this lighting, the purple looks a bit unnatural though...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hm...looks a tad weirder than the other man, i know you might not want to , but im telling you man, that paintover you did was GREAT try to achieve that look please frown.gif
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    i don't know, i don't like the whole framing on any of those shots, i feel you should just do a centered render of your model so it can be appreciated. the background doesn't do anything positive for your nice work on the shop