Home General Discussion

Compressing Reel for web viewing

What's the best format, compressor, video size and file size to shoot for when putting a demo reel on the 'net?

I see some vids that are 2 mins long, larger than 320x240 and load up in seconds and don't look too compressed.

When using sorenson3 compressor and going to 320x240 the only way I can get the file size pretty low <10Mb the compression really rips apart the reel.

Any tips/guidelines for putting your demo reel on the net?

Replies

• chinups
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    Flash is the way to go.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I think requiring the end user/potential employer/recruiter to have a flash install is a little cheeky and potentially problematic. I would have thought that .mov is still pretty standard. I had good results out of Sorensen Squeeze, so I'm not sure why you're not having much luck

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...true#Post148998
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Why choose? I've heard from a lot of the developers here in town they like flash (Great quality fast load). I've also heard a lot like Daz who say stick to mov. I see no reason why not have a link to both a flash reel and a .mov reel. (

Just my thoughts, Daz and others will of course know far better than I.

Oh, I've also been told by some lot of the film/visual effects guys I know to use the Mac program Compressor and compress it using H.264. From what you said Daz I take it that this sorensen is a good comparative program for PC? (I don't like having to use the macs.)