Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

modeling a human head in quads (help!)

dabu
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dabu polycounter lvl 18
Hey PC,

I started this head a while ago, but finally am able to sit down and git r dun.

I originally modeled my head from a sphere, and am learning that its really not the best technique for edge loops, etc. So I have painfully rebuilt the head, and I think its looking pretty good. But I still can't get rid of all the triangles. Will the remaining triangles turn into problem areas?

Anyone know any good head modeling tuts that show how to build a head the right way?

tia,

dabu

05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg

Replies

• kukk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    Press the "meshmooth" button wink.gif
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    hehe yeah use meshsmooth.

If you still get bad smoothing, just re topo the problem spot, for example you could add a cut that goes from side of the nostril up to the nose and it'll get rid of the tri.

One way to keep it all quads is to build the main muscle groups first (mouth, eyes, naso fold), keep em quaded and extrude / join with other areas...well that's what works for me.

i found a tutorial but the link is dead frown.gif, i might have it on dvd.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Actually the tris you get are a result of badly done edgeloops and anatomical errors.

Here is a screenshot of my current facetopology (haven't integrated the teeth yet frown.gif )
    http://www.sedan.uni-osnabrueck.de/~krischan/facetopology1.jpg
    All quads btw.

Hope that helps!
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the comments guys.

So far with mesh smooth, everything seems to subdivide pretty good.

JK, awesome ref. Do you have more shots of that? Whats your technique for modeling your heads?

08.jpg
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, after all I made it wink.gif But here is a obj of it, probably better than making a bunch of screens.
    (License: Only for noncommercial tutorial purposes! I might release it under a GPL like license at some point in the future).

http://www.sedan.uni-osnabrueck.de/~krischan/facetopology1_jkm.obj

Can't really say what technique I used, since I didn't really use any... well you could say I did it by boxmodeling it. But to be honest it was a long process in Wings3D following no real technique at all, just a brute force trial and error approach I guess.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for that, extremely helpful.

Ive moved on to the body for now, again trying to keep it all quads. Anyone have technigue for quad modeling human bodies?

THANKS a ton JK,

+)

dabu

09.jpg
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    Are you going to try to keep the ears in quads? My ears always look really messy when I modelled the whole head in quads, but I have changed the way I do things.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Start much, MUCH lower res than that, with edges that flow around the human body's features. Ensure it's all quads at the super low level (easy to do), then use only quad creating functions lik connect, (whoops, it's maya! get a plugin) extrude, etc. You'll learn how to keep quads as you go.

Modeled starting really low, then using only quad creating functions to get more verts for more details.
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/dystopia/wire2.jpg

poop.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What Ben said Dan smile.gif Your model is just way too high res to comfortably shift stuff around.

Check this out (not my sheet. Can't recall the author) : http://www.daz-art.com/poly_regions.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    The author would be Bunk Timmer i believe.

JKMakowka: clean loops!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    great head JKMakowka! i discovered a triangle in there :P under the eye there is one :P (in the eye soccet) lol
    it was helpful though!
    and dabu, do what they say laugh.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, ha you got me there smile.gif Not really a part of the model though, more of an artifact created by the datastructure of Wings3D, since you can't really have holes in the mesh (long story short).

Edit: does anyone else have the feeling that proper high-polygon and detailed edgeloops will soon be a lost and forgotten art, with all that zbrushing? Not necessarily a bad thing, but... smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Edit: does anyone else have the feeling that proper high-polygon and detailed edgeloops will soon be a lost and forgotten art, with all that zbrushing? Not necessarily a bad thing, but... smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno about becoming lost and forgotten overnight, but diminishing rapidly that's for sure. I was almost gonna mention this in my response. I still love modeling like this, the old skool way. It's strangely satisfying. But damn is it slow as hell compared to geometry painting methods. It kinda depends on the model though. For something smooth and stylized it's fine speed wise, but for a really intricate face you're far better off in Z or mud obviously.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome feedback, thanks guys.

My ref is wearing bellydance pants, so I modeled them. Kind of a cop out from dealing with acutal anatomy, I know.

Will probably go back and reduce the head once I get the body nailed down. Moving on to arms and hands next.

Allyx,I will detail the ears in Z or Mud.

cheers guys,

dabu

10.jpg
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    small update:

need to get arm ref.

11.jpg

12.jpg
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    ah, hands and arms modeled. Tweaked her proportions a bit to make them slightly more ideal.

Now I need a cool character design.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    if you are going to go into zbrush or mudbox with it i think you are going to high poly with the base, i find sculpting aps to work best when you start with a very low mesh with just the basic loops and no real detail. when i started my dr stabb model i had a really low poly base, then half way thru i used topogun and retop's the model to match the shapes of the sculpt. then wanted to go back in there to sculpt more. but i found that to be a major pain, the model was so much easier when i could go down to real low levels and tweak out major forms
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    adding hair

design acquired, will post ref soon.

The feedback so far has been great, I really feel like Im starting to get the hang of this stuff.
    +) +)

17.jpg