Home General Discussion

Some HDR army photos (eagle, piranha and rapier)

LordScottish
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
I got the chance to take hundreds of reference photos of vehicles and planes I have to model for the army . And to finally test the technique, I made some series with different exposure time. I think they show well what this technique is good for and where its useless.

The first one is a mowag piranha (also used by the us army under the name Stryker). The contrast was too strong for my Canon EOS 300D because of the bright background and it looks like this is the perfect situation for a hdr combination.

sourcep.jpg

and the combined photo

piranha.jpg

Same situation with this rapier system, but with a even stronger contrast.

sourcer.jpg
rapier.jpg

And the last one is the eagle. I don't like the top parts, they look really flat. But I think the tire area came out really nice and you can feel the volume well.

sourcee.jpg
eagle.jpg
detail.jpg

Replies

• animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    nice! very cool stuff!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, the middel one really needs an even darker picture, since there are still areas where it is overbright.

Btw, I would imagine that HDR pictures work really well for photosourcing textures. Has anyone around here experimented with that?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    What are you exposure values set to?
    I'd set it lower, like -2 or -3. Also, increase your aperture setting to like 5.6 or 6.0 if you can. And the faster the shutter speed, the better.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    not enough contrast in the final images, they look really washed out.

read up on HDR, you can do it!
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What are you exposure values set to?
    I'd set it lower, like -2 or -3. Also, increase your aperture setting to like 5.6 or 6.0 if you can. And the faster the shutter speed, the better.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was worried to get too much lensflare if I increase the aperture, so everything was done with the exposure only. In addition I didn't want any blur outside the focus, so I worked with a small aperture.This was no problem, since the photos were made with a tripod. I don't know the exact values though, I have to look them up again.

[ QUOTE ]
    not enough contrast in the final images, they look really washed out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I played with higher contrasts, but I'd already lose some detail.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks nice buddy. I know you're going to use these for modeling reference, so I think they work perfectly. You can see all the details that would normally be obscured by the exposure limitations, so in that regard I think they're really successful. Don't listen to these n00bs. :-)

Swiss Cheese and Chocolate forever!

poop.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    wow man,i unfortunatily can't give any feedback about the technicalities of the photography,all i can say is I know who to come to when I want some veicle pics smile.gif

John