Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - and more wips...

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
game-ready polycounter lvl 17
Heya, heres a wip of a knight. Still detailing him up, dirtying him, maybe add some symbols to the shield and his tunic. he will have a few different texture variations, so the leather will soon be replaced with a more armored, metal plated...thing. Sword/scabbard I didnt even touch yet..Thanks for any crits.

Clowny Knight (this thing was just too big so I made a link to it instead)

Replies

• LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Neat helmet texture you have there! What material is the handguard of the sword supposed to be?
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ummm, a red twizzler? Hehe, I recently changed it to brown, so it would be more of a wrapped leather. I am trying to make it look like a 'not so good' sword, well used. I am glad you like the helmet, I was thinking it was too dark. Black Knight dark almost.
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like it but i have never really seen chain mail on the feet of a knight. In my opinion Grieves might look like they fit better. maybe gauntlets on the hands as well. but its just a design choice really

it looks fantastic though, textures are awesome
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear what you are saying about the feet. I need to get some ref, but I swear I have seen the older knights with almost chainmail booties that must have leather on the bottom, with the leather wraps. the next variant will have all that you mentioned above, this is more of a lesser knight. His family wasn't as well off. smirk.gif
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I just googled "knight chainmail" and I found quite a few images that depict the feet the way you have them, and most of them looked like sort of common knights, like you're describing this one.
    This looks awesome, btw,can't wait to see it with dirt and more details.
    Here's the image I found of a knight with similar feet, it a small pic, but I found a few like this.
    chainmailknight.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    really cool proportions and texture, reminds me of the black knight from monthy python eheheh... nice wink.gif
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
    Great job, he really looks like a quality model. I couldn't even notice he was a pretty low poly model until i actually saw the wireframes. Anyways, did you make him for a specific game?
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool - I like the detail in the chainmail and cloth folds.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool, one thing I might do is give a bit more volume to his back in the mesh, his upper body looks really thin from the side at the moment, especially compared to the depth of the legs.

Good work on the rest though, look forward to seeing more smile.gif
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good and i definitely agree with mops crit, more volume to his chest area would make this an even better model.
    Another thing you might want to consider is light colour variations on the chainmail, try and imagine not only the kind of dirt and grim this kind of outfit would collect but also the subtle colours the chainmail might reflect. Dont have to go over the top with this stuff but any colour variation will automatically make the metal look more believable.
    Great work!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like its from Medieval 2 total war. (so that means its a good quality model + texture).
    but one shortcoming is exactly what Mop mentioned.
    other than that...
  • dj snyder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dj snyder polycounter lvl 14
    Looks really nice, considering the polycount.

Might be worth adding some kind of decoration or crest to the shield smile.gif
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglemeanimations - you are my hero for finding that pic wink.gif I know the lesser knights had chain booties or something. Ty!

You're right, I actually got Medieval TotalWar2 and was very impressed with the low poly work they did I wanted to try to reproduce it, somewhat. And yeah, he does look like the black knight from Monty, same thought here as I was doing him up.

@MoP/Zeldrik - Thanks for the comments I didn't even notice his back had nothing to it from that side shot. I will try to add a little somethin'somethin to his back or just play with the verts. Great idea on the lighting of his chainmail Zeldrik, definately something I will work in.

I appreciate all the crits, very helpful! Hes still a WIP so I will get back and edit him soon.
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I stand corrected about the chain booties, you learn something new everyday smile.gif
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are two other WIPs. Very wip. i still have a lot of painting, cleaning, detailing to do on them but i wanted to get your crits on them. Your crits will only make me stronger.

norsehelgromshowov0.jpg

This is the "Knight", rehashed into this guy. His eyebrows are really buggin me...need to work on him. Spear and Arms are totally not even touched.
    spearmanshowvk6.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff, i love the knight and norseman, the rehashed guy could use some improvements on the face, the proportions look a bit odd.

His hands, probably the fingers, need to be scaled to match roughly the length of the palm & the hand itself should be big enough to cover his face.

Just the impressions i get, i could be wrong wink.gif.
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    Helgrom face texturing FTW!!
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made this into a wip thread for myself instead of flooding everyone. Heres a concept I worked up today, very rough, with just a color layer quickly thrown on. I might detail him up to just find out how I am going to work his colors. With wings, no horns (swappable), working maw, I am going to try to get him weighting in at around 1600tris or less. Comments? Thanks!

Thanks for your comments Psyk0/Miguelito, I hear you about the proportions on the spearman and I am going to mess around with them before I rig him up.
  • conman44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all i can say is, THAT IS SO AWSOME! love the drawing
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    wow, strong sketch. probably explains why your textures are also so strong. Keep going, if your goal is to find full time industry employment, you'll get it.
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the demon so far:

demon_detail.jpg

and german rifleman. still need to grime him up:
    shot_germanrifle.jpg
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    So far, so good, good to see you're not letting your thread die. smile.gif

On the demon, I like the painterly kind of style you're going for, but it still looks a little muddy right now, he could do with more contrast in some areas. The horns stick out most to me, maybe work in some more depth in the ridges. Also might wanna work with the inverse knee a little more, from the side I'd expect his calves to be a little bulkier. Sweet model though, great expression.

On the rifleman, I'd add some more depth and variation to his hair stubble, and the shadows on the inside of the ear look like they're a bit too dark too soon. Other than that, lookin' good, updates!
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Great work man, this is really diversified ...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    This looks great for the level of detaIl you have, though I'd say with the demon adding on you should add an edge loop or so so that the legs won't bend weird when you pose it a little more.

One thing I notice about the rifleman is that though you're griming him up, you should prolly put in more hints of hair on his head, cuz it looks like he's wearing an extra layer of skin on top.

And I don't think they were allowed to shave their heads like that in the army I heard.

Texturing for both is really detailed though, I like it.
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the great comments. The Hair will actually be added on, and switched during character creation so I wanted a baldy head that wouldnt really show through 'that' well. But, yeah, it does need some work wink.gif
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    I like the expression of the demons face. but the anatomy of his torso looks a bit confusing. i know it's a demon and no human but i would paint the anatomy of it to be more like a human. otherwise it just looks wrong. and the german soldier has your strange spear man hand ts ts ts wink.gif

Beside that nice work smile.gif
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demon loves his abs! The german is a relative of the spearman.

Heres an update on the german soldier and an MP40.

gerrifleman_gregbreault.jpg

mp40.jpg
  • blarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blarg polycounter lvl 9
    This is a character I had been meaning to get up and going for a long time. He has a full suit of armor, like a battlesuit, seen in this concept, but I have yet to create it. Glas'nak concept

Heres a screenie with full ambient in Max, just a diffuse on him. 1024x for both head and body textures for right now. This is his Base which will have head and body swaps for different alien types in-game so there's not much color variation, but I need to add some grime and possibly more paint to his chest and soft little gooshy' belly.

3d_glas.jpg
  • etsuja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    etsuja polycounter lvl 17
    This reminds me of a texture I did for the quake 1 guy a loooong time ago. Pretty nice texturing.