Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

need crits new member 1st pimp

Hi all, have been lurking for a while and looking (admiring) your guys'n'gals work, i must say very inspiring stuff and hear your words of wisdom through others post have helped my modelling along,

so i though i'd show some of my stuff, this is still a work in progress i think my textures need a bit of work, and please mind the renders/ and wires i'm working in milkshape 3d, (can't afford a better 3d solution)

wiresgm3.jpg
sighyo5.jpg
shitbr6.jpg

anyways this model is making for an indie game sortuv a parody on stealth based genre it's in cartoony form hence the proportions are a little wack, this is a generic goon, the reason it looks a little last gen, is the engine im working on is a bit dated, so the polycount has to be a bit lower,

i'm realitively happy with the way this turned out and have rigged the face and mouth for facial expressions,

i'd love to get some feed back and some crit's for this model, and find out howi can make this sucker better!

Che'

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice general style. I'd say you need to push your contrast, use sharper edges (hard edged brushes, a light stroke right next to a dark stroke), and more color variation in your shading. You are just using two colors/values per material for shading, that's a no-no.

Welcome to the board, and I look forward to your progress. :-)

poop.gif
  • RELgames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good. I like the expressions you are able to achieve with the face. The only things I noticed at first glance are the laces on his boots seem a bit skewed. Also his "bulge" seems a bit large. This could have been intended for comic effect (which is pretty funny), but if not you might want to consider shrinking it down a bit. No one wants to fight a goon who is better equipped than them smile.gif

Overall I would say a very nice first post.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know REL... it looks a bit small to me crazy.gif

I think overall the contrast could be kicked up a notch.

style is great; reminds me of the Penny Arcade spy manuals for Splinter Cell
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    The upper torso seems really high poly compared to the rest of the model. Maybe try and kill some of those edgeloops or destribute them out elsewhere?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Really nice work, especially considering you are using milkshit... I mean... shape. Have a look at gmax and possibly blender, both are far better apps than milkshape and ofer more versitile tools. There are a number of free modeling apps around these days and some of them are very good. I would advise you learn a more profesional app and stop wasting your time with milkshape.
  • ohsomogilicious
    cant be critical for models i say, it always shows the artists style, i like the light frothy feel to the character seems like a kool character id like to play in a game, although the face mask makes him look like a robber so id probably be killing him haha, the only thing that really bothers me is i almost feel like the pants need to be the same color as the shirt to keep the simplicity of it all or a more khaki color.
  • RELgames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs:
    laugh.gif Well maybe big was the wrong word. Perhaps I meant it protrudes a bit too much. Yeah that's it, “protrudes” was the word I was looking for. I certainly didn't mean BIG. Anyone could look at that and clearly see it is not BIG. (this is me trying to salvage what dignity I can)

Also I kinda agree with ohsomogilicious about the pants needing to be the same color as the shirt, although I didn't notice it until it was pointed out.
  • Nogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall this character works for me! My only critique would be the same as ohsomogilicious about the colour of the pants, and bump up the contrast as well.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Your's doesn't protrude RELgames? Hmmm, you am teh chixz0r? laugh.gif

-caseyjones
  • spyrewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions i'll give it a re-working and see if i can enhance it,

well I see your point 'bout the crotch, laugh.gif
    it's actually the way its been painted that way giving it the well endowed look, i think his pants really need some re working,found some very iffy sections

again thanks for the pointers....ah geez!.
  • spyrewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i've decided to go back to my goon model and re-do the textures, still WIP at the moment but need advice am i heading in the righ direction with the textures now...?
    im still using the same mesh.

i feel heaps beter with this attempt,
    any advice given would be welcomed.

goonscarejl0.jpg
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Face is awesome. laugh.gif
    Very nice comic style!

I´d say push the contrast and add a few details like seams on the mask and stubble on the chin, something like that.
  • shadows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadows polycounter lvl 18
    The model has alot of character to it, really cool.
    But you should really go in there with hard edge brushes, which I think would suit the model well and to help define what the materials are and give it some detail.

Got bored and did this quickly. Just an idea of what you could maybe do. You could also just take what you have and use the pinch tool in PS and make those shapes sharper....
    goon_texture.jpg