Home Technical Talk

Problems with hard edges and subd's

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
You guys really know your stuff, probably more about subd than the guys at subdivisonmodeling.com tongue.gif

I'm having trouble with getting a simple intrusion displaying correctly. Original lowpoly:

mp5k_wire.png

In subd you can see distortion at the end of the intrusion (called pinching, right?):

distortion_wire.jpgdistortion.jpg

I tried putting in a bunch of edges but that screwed up the corners quite badly, and beveling the corners only did so much, so I just used edge weights (using modo), and now I have this problem. Again, beveling the corner verts (this time with edge weights) doesn't help much either.

I'm stuck frown.gif

Replies

• motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    hmm well i guess you could do this in a number of ways.. i'd probably do it something like this:
    sub-d.jpg

its just straight polygon modelling and then sub-d'd
    i dont know the terminology in modo but in max i put a turbosmooth on my edit poly
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    D:

I'm familiar with turbosmooth in max, so I'll try that when I get home. Thanks!

But... you know this could just be a bug in modo because I had almost the exact same topology before trying edge weights.

modo is great but sometimes.. ARRRRRR... but max is 20x more frustrating frown.gif