Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first model. Help !

Hi to all polycount members !
I am creating my first model ever so I need coments and what could I fix.
Also I'll need someone to tell me tutorial about head modeling...

Here's the start...
femalekf8.jpg
It's female character...
Creating in 3DS MAX.
I hope you can help me.
See ya !

trifko tongue.gif

Replies

• StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is your first model?
    Well that's at least better than mine, a teapot:)
    I think if you read up some tutorials and the 3dsmax help file and you will do fine. Good ones are @ ben's site www.poopinmymouth.com and www.3d-palace.com and 3dtotal.com soo that's something to get you started. Good luck with your model!
  • trifko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for reply. I seen popinmymouth site and I can see that he is a guru at 3d !
    Do you have same C&C on what should I fix...
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't really give specific C&C on what to fix because the it really needs work on all aspects. I would recommend to make it a lot more low poly, it's a lot more manageble this way, and makes it a hell lot easier to learn.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed, 4 sided cylinders ftw! well ok maybe not that low.

Crits: fix proportions and topology :P.

Seriously here's a few tips that could help:

Depending on the style ur going for, you should ALWAYS gather reference or do some sketches to get a better feel of your subject. If you are going for something that looks closer to real anatomy then start digging for references, they are quite helpful, obviously.

Another way to learn is to study wireframes, to build proper topology...check out bobo's work for sweet ass examples: http://www.bobotheseal.com/

Poop's character vtm is a great way to learn modeling and workflow too.
  • trifko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Psyk0 ...
    This site is you gave me is awesome, bobo is a varry good modeler...

I'm creating pirate model !
    piratens2.jpg

I will do head and sword soon ...
    I'll post my progress.
    Also can anyone tell me what could I create for start to improve my modeling skills and can anyone tell me how to create male torso becose I'm not happy with pirates torso ?
    Thanks !
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suggest that you study human anatomy a bit before jumping straight into a detailed character. It's not much fun, but you'll be much more satisfied with your work when it's all said and done. Try modeling a simple mesh without a lot of detail, while focusing on getting the proportions perfect. When you're comfortable with it, continue adding clothing, detail, and whatever else you see fit.

If you aren't already, I also suggest you learn how to use image planes or viewport backgrounds. While they aren't essential, they can help immensely, and will ultimately make things go much quicker.

Try taking a look at some tutorials, as well. Ben Mathis has made some great resources, which can be found at his website. 3DTotal, while our Dominance War competition, has a great deal of tutorials. I suggest looking at the Joan of Arc character creation tutorial. It's definitely the most detailed tutorial I've seen thus far, and teaches all the bare necessities of modeling.

The best tip I can give you is to never give up. It sounds corny, I know, but you'll never go anywhere if you don't persevere. Keep practicing, and keep us posted. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. smile.gif
  • trifko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know jgarland !
    I agree with your tip at the end...
    Bay the way here is some update,
    hope you like it !
    progres21gz1.jpg
    progres2mq0.jpg

See ya !
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    not bad....give him some girth in the profile view....also pirates have bad posture...give that spine some curviture..also should add some loop elbows knees and such
  • trifko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks low odor for advice !
    I'm on it ...
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    You are a fast learner! Look at your progress from your first model compared to the last one of the pirate you posted. I would say, keep going and you'll get there!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looking pretty cool! way better than my second model! one tip: if your modeling a beard it is usually done by making a plane with an alpha map applied to it, in stead of it looking like a huge chin :P (it doesn't really though)
  • trifko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I agree with you Japhir !
    His head looks like sentas head !
    Thanks for tip. But I stink at texturing frown.gif . Can I post uv map of this model and someone of
    you do me the texture to see how you do it...
    Also step by step tutorial in photoshop would be great !
    I hope you could help me ...
    UV map is coming soon !
    And thanks everyone for tips, I couldn't do this without you... smirk.gif
  • trifko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's UV maps

textureuvvt0.jpg
    textureuvswordje2.jpg

Hope you can help me ! smile.gif
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Simple sword, and bigger arms will make him stylish. As a first char its really impressive. Keep it up, u have made a great piece of work in here.
  • trifko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks [email="Por@szek"]Por@szek[/email] !
    Can anyone do me texture of this model or give me a grate tutorial on texturing ...
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I'd head back over to poopinmymouth.com and take a look at some of his UV layouts in the tutorial section, you could also google unwrapping, UV's, etc. You're not taking full advantage of the space right now, and wasted space is the bane of UV existence. You need to break up the pieces a lot more and scale them up to take up more space, like front and back of the torso, left and right side of the boot, bottom of the boot etc.
    Like everyone else said, you've made a ton of progress and are learning quickly. Keep at it.
  • trifko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglemeanimations,
    I have been on poopinmymouth.com seen some tutorials
    but I don't have speed internet so I can't download his movie tutorials but I seen same of his pdf files and they are awsome ...
    I must try it on my own to do the texture...
    That's the only way to learn...
    Practice is the key of all !
    Thanks !