Home Technical Talk

most reccomended wacom?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
I want to buy a wacom tablet, something that is $200 maximum. Considering my price range, does anyone have any recommendations on which particular kind I should get and where the best place to get it is?

Thanks.

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I say save up a month for the extra 100 usd and get the 6x8 intous or look on ebay for a used one. If not an intous 2 or 3 is good 4x5. If you are planning on doing a lot of drawing though the bigger tablet is better. Graphires are alright though. Don't go with another brand like say Aiptek because they are crap. I learned the hard way, but it's your money so do what you want. The ideal solution is a 6x8 intous 2 or 3 provided you have the desk room.

Alex
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for $200 try for a used intous 2/3 6x8, or just go get a graphire new.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd just like to reinforce what's already been said. I currently have a 4
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Intuos 3, five by seven.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Get the Intuos 3 indeed, A5.

Everybody I know who has a graphire wishes they had saved up a little more for an intuos. smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atleast get an intous 2. If you can find a 6x8 intous 2 BUY IT. There isnt much difference between the 2 and the 3, 3 just looks "prittier" and has some buttons thats ome people love or some hate cause they're annoying.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    most recomended cintiq 21ux
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to get me one of those, im working on a trust right now, and that thing sucks. I constantly have problems with the pen that is not responding well.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    get at least a 6x8. Any smaller and theres a good chance you'll be sorry.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    6x8 is my happy medium. I keep a 9x12 at home, it's a bit of a pain reachin across the thing to get to the hotkeys, and I lament not being able to drag it along to the neighborhood coffee bean without looking like an art dork.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    My 6x8 Graphire3 has served me quite well for the past 2 years. I got it off Amazon for $170, but I'm sure you can find it on ebay for less.
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    I am using an intuos 3 A5 for a few months now and it works perfect. I used a cheap trust tablet before and had a lot of problems with the pen, i used ducktape to held it together... go get intuos, NOW!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I have a first gen Intuos 6x8, what's the difference between it and the Intuos 2 & 3? (besides the buttons)
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    My wrist is acting up again, so I think I'm going to use a pen more. Anyone use the tablet for modeling? How's that going?

I have a hard time tracking the pen as I float it above the surface, so I really want something like the Cintiq (though a cheaper version)... anyone have one of those?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Intuous 9X 12, but then I like large sketchpads too.

Scott
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the A4 intuos3 but it was just too big to carry around.

I later sold it and got an A5 wide.

wide makes all the difference. Same width as the A4 but same aspect as a widescreen!
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyone use the tablet for modeling? How's that going?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually do mostly, it works as great as a mouse (i have my tablet set to mouse mode, not absolute). You'll get used to it eventually.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I had the A4 intuos3 but it was just too big to carry around.

I later sold it and got an A5 wide.

wide makes all the difference. Same width as the A4 but same aspect as a widescreen!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly! I did the same thing although I work on two CRT monitors at work not a widescreen flatscreen monitor. We seem to run into color saturation issues still when someone switches. It also feels like I can lay down my strokes more accurately after I switched, I think* it was calculating the aspect ratio of both monitors as one monitor and on a near square tablet that throws things off. Short horizon strokes go seemed to go farther than vertical ones. I did get used to it after a while but switching back was like slipping into an old comfortable pair of shoes, it just felt right.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Stubbs I got tmyself an Intuos2 A5 in perfect condition last year on ebay. 'Buy it now' with no bids, like new, 150usd.

Coldwolf there are many tricks you can use to ease wrist pain.

I personnally model/texture everything with my left hand (maya max photoshop mudbox you name it) using my tablet.

My mouse sits at the other side of my keyboard and I use it for everything non-artistic ie things that dont require precision work like browsing for files, Uv editing aso. It was awkward at first but I can now use a mouse with either hand which means that everytime I use my mouse(right), my 'sensitive' hand is at rest(left).

The dual screen setup also helped me with this. Like, my artistic apps are on the left and I do my browsing / techy work on the right.

Kinda strange but I love it!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I were left handed now, I do the same as you but I am right handed, I drop the pen to use the mouse.

Maybe it's time for a change wink.gif
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    Hey thanks for the advise guys, I'm glad I asked. I'm going to go with an intuos 6x8 2 or 3, depending on the prices.

Thanks again!