Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AndrewChason.com (Be honest)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
http://www.AndrewChason.com

Greetings all. I am getting my site up for GDC and now there is content. I will be making the links at the top work closer to the end of the day, and adding more Pics as well.

For now though. If you could take some time to tell me what you think, that would be appreciated.

Poop, has already said that I do not have enough contrast or depth on my textures. If you want to add to this, and how to fix it, that would be appreciated.

Be brutal, but nice. I am doing my best and longing to be better.

Thank you all.

-Andrew B. Chason

Hope to see some of you at GDC.

*EDIT* The character art was done by another team member. I was in charge of texturing it. Credit is given on the images.

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Poop about your contrast/depth. The text for the links are bothering me. They are a little difficult to read because they blend into the background too much. I'm also not to crazy about the font/appearance of the '3d and Textures'.. but that's a personal taste thing.

Also, I'd add a little more to the tan background. I'm assuming it's supposed to look like an old scroll or tarp. Add some details to it to spruce it up some. Also, if one side is going to be torn, you should rough up the other side also.

I think it's a good start though. I'm waiting to see how some of the other links work, to see how they may change the function of the site.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    I've noticed that a lot of your normal maps seem to be just the Nvidia plugin run over diffuse maps (or at least it looks that way to me). If high res modeling is an option, I would do that for some of those things (especially the character). But if you want to use the photoshop plugin, make sure you create a custom height map for everything. You get much much better results doing that rather than just running it over your diffuse.

Your spec maps seem to be pretty lack luster. You have some different shades to break it up, but not really utilizing what it could be used for. Try adding scratches, and wearing edges. Having worn/chipped edges can make things look really interesting in the right light. Don't be afraid to use color in your spec either. Black & White spec is commonly used, but colored spec can give you much cooler looking results (especially with metallic objects).

As for the renders, I personally would just show the final results (Diffuse/Normal/Spec etc) and a wireframe too. I would consider showing just the model and normal map applied, but only if you feel the normal map does an outstanding job.

Hopefully this was helpful to you. Will maybe be able to write a bit more tonight.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman : And some of the content in the site? The models and the textures?
    What do you feel about those?

Flewda:

On the APC, I was able to generate a normal from a model.
    On the figures I was not. However, I have made custom heightmaps for my comparison. The Nvidia plugin was -not- just used on the diffused. However, the Heightmap was made from layers and assets I used in the Diffuse.

To better combat this. What makes it seem that the normal is based on my diffuse, and not a heightmap?

Thank you -both- again.

-Andrew
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18

Brutal, eh? I'm not sure if you're ready for a portfolio. It's possible you could gain an entry level position somewhere, but overall, you've got a lot of learning to do.

First impression, your site art is low contrast, muddy, very first pass looking. By using graphics on your site, you're letting it represent you, so it had better be good. Personally, I prefer to let my work give the impressions, and avoid trying to make graphics for my site.

Your five portfolio pieces are below average.
    All of the models have lots of unused edges. Seriously, you can select loops all over these models, delete them, and there would be no change. Every edge in your model should have a purpose. For example, if it doesn't effect the silhouette delete it.
    UVs are ok, some pixel depth issue, such has valve on pump is as large as the whole console
    All your normal maps are all flat nvidia normals, useless. Learn to model enough high poly details to transfer serious lighting data.
    Final work, all looks low quality, last gen, even though it's using all the next gen materials.

What do you want to be anyway?

Your work is all tech, but your site is organic/rocks and vines. You have a couple "characters", but they're more props than anything.

I'd focus on creating three multi-prop scenes to visualize a complete scene while practicing high detail modeling techniques to work towards current generation art.

One being realistic, one being medieval/fantasy, and one being sci-fi for variety.
    OR, find the company you want to work for, and do everything in the style of thier games.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    One being realistic, one being medieval/fantasy, and one being sci-fi for variety.
    OR, find the company you want to work for, and do everything in the style of their games.

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT is a great idea.

As far as low contrast on the site. I don't get what you guys mean. I mean How do I make it better contrast? I hand painted it all with my Wacom. Is that part of the issue, and why you say it is muddy?

If in contrast you mean fairly monotone, on my textures. I agree with that. That's a design choice, and thus I was just doing my job.

I don't know if I want to change that or not though. I want the site to show my work too, but also let the -work- show my work. I guess I am a bit divided.

Fantasy like site, sci-fi content? Yeah, I prefer fantasy, but will work on anything. I also need to get my own model work out there (I don't have much); I did make the APC, and Pump.

How do I make my Textures better contrast? Do you have any tutorials or examples? I guess I am not grasping what you are saying.

I hope to take SOMEthing to GDC. Though... I guess I do need to get better.

-Andrew
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    The graphics of your front page just aren't working, I agree with the above folks that they are muddy and detract from the focus of showcasing your work.
    I think it would be better to go for a more simple website approach and focus more time on your artwork. It's more important that your website be neutral and easy to navigate: a simple header, neutral background, well-composed thumbnails, and good navigation is really all you need.
    Also, it's not evident when looking at the larger views of your work how to get back to the main page, maybe add a back button or something instead of everything opening in a seperate window.

Now about your work, like Cholden said, there are a lot of unused edges, On the pump, it looks like you created a cyllinder and left it at the 18 side default, you could easily take it down to 8-10 sides and still get a smooth result.
    Again, like Cholden said, you only have 5 pieces, only 2 of which you modeled, you would benefit from doing a few full environments(if that is what you want to do)with multiple props.
    Also, I know you didn't model the characters you're showcasing, but they have some nasty creases and geometry issues, which also detracts from your work. Maybe on the pieces you only textured it would be best to just show one image pre-textured, and then some post to concentrate on what you did.

Your textures look like they've only been started, you could layer up a lot more dirt, wear and tear and detail. I appreciate that it looks like you are trying to hand-paint all of your maps, but you could use some photo-sourced overlays to easily gain some realism and detail.

I'm sorry if all of that was harsh, but it's what I'm seeing. Keep working on things, decide what your focus will be, environments or characters, and start posting your work here. These forums are a wealth of knowledge and help, and they're free. If you work hard and truly have the desire to get better and work in the industry, you will, it just takes time to develop your skills. Best of luck to you, I hope that the crits don't discourage you, and rather push you to be better and work harder and knock us all on our asses the next time you post with how much you've improved.
    grin.gif
    BTW, did you read the "Your portfolio repels jobs" article? It's very helpful.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    you could easily take it down to 8-10 sides and still get a smooth result

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that I don't know how that is possible. I left it more round for definition. Thought I am not disputing you.

No, not too harsh. I didn't think I was gonna go work for EA or Blizzard tomorrow; however I have been at work like this for some time.

This is just a wake up call.

This is the first time I have been in an environment that allows me so much access to others.

I hope my abilities improve in time.

Perhaps I will upload a PSD and let you guys hack that apart; tell me how I could be better.

I was going to take a portfolio of my work to GDC with me, but now I am not sure if I should spend the money to have it printed. I have business cards, but I am not sure of those either.

Should I just go as a lurker then?

-Andrew
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    id say keep working and go to GDC , both wont kill you :P
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    On your feet soldier!!! dont give up! you can become a good artist. Hang out on here and soak up as much as you can. Go to GDC and enjoy it. smile.gif
    My two cents.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    notman : And some of the content in the site? The models and the textures?
    What do you feel about those?

[/ QUOTE ]

My talents are more towards web development, but with modeling at very amateur levels, so my input on your modeling/textures probably aren't going to be as useful as the other guys here. Personally I think you're off to a good start, but just need more pieces to demonstrate.
    I'd say follow what some of these guys suggested. Determine what area of modeling you want to concentrate on, then focus your portfolio in that area. Make more models that demonstrate those abilities.
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose that you are looking to become A character/prop artist. I think that your stongest point that you have shown is your environment props. Maybe make a decision as to whether you would rather work on environments or character and keep on expanding your portfolio based on that decision. I think if you decide that you want to work on characters show An understanding of anatomy. design and build characters that show that you have researched human anatomy and it couldent hurt to have both a male and female model. if you would like to do environments maybe try making small scenes. i would suggest making an organic scene becasue you have already demonstrated that you do mechanical. keep it up man
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the critique, support, and encouragement. Throwing together a physical portfolio of this work tonight to show off, with the understanding that there is nowhere to go but up.

Chuinups: SIR, YES SIR! ((Sometimes I need that too)).
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    If you look at established companies games and compare their old work to the new stuff you'll noticed that it has gone from looking blocky and basic to realistic and smooth. If you were to compare say the Warcraft 1 cinematics to Starcraft and those to Warcraft 3 you can see a noticeable improvement in their skills. The same should happen with your work provided you push yourself. I don't really think the way you are presenting your work is helpful at all for the following reasons:

1. Present your work in such a way that the viewer can easily see all the details. Right now when you show off your views of your model they are too small and since they are all together side by side they sort of blend together.

2. Your brown background color is so bright that it makes everything else look so dark. Also it has the highest amount of saturation so it pretty much the first thing you look at. I suggest if you want to tint your background color start with a 50% gray and tint it whatever color you want. I would also make it blend into the rest of your site so it's not distracting. The white in the sky should probably be your brightest color and not the brown. I suggest you take a screenshot of your first page and bring it into your paint program and turn it into Grayscale so you can compare the contrast. Color theory says that humans see brighter and more saturated colors first.

3. Present all your models as big as possible and all in the same manner. If your do it side by side do them all that way or if you do them vertically ... you get the idea. I also suggest you show your textures and models together to prevent extra clicking. It got mentioned earlier but just show a textured and shaded wireframe version of your model.

4. Don't feel bad about your work my first reel was worse than yours. It happens, work hard and you'll improve, listen to what got said and you'll improve faster.

Hope that helps, have fun at GDC.

Alex

Here is a paint over to give you an idea of what I mean.

First page

a_splash.jpg

Suggestion on how to present your model:

a_present.jpg
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage. Thank you very much.

That was VERY helpful. D

o you understand what they are talking about when it comes to contrast in my textures?

Like I said, other than the monochrome nature, there is room for change. The -all browns- ect, is a design idea. What could I do to make them better?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    For your environment graphic I would just model it or manipulate photos to make it fit your current scene. If you really want to paint it get enough reference so you can paint it in a style that will get you noticed. I imagine photorealism is what you should show. The changes I made to the main page was based on color theory, but since you are showing off 3D game art you should prepare the interface elements of your site like game art. The rocks felt a bit too uniform and if you added a layer of dirt or rock material or something you thought looked like rock it would make it look better. Get that put it in it's own layer and set to some blend mode you like. Usually overly works great, but play around with it. All I did to change your splash page was use adjustment layers and shifted the saturation and brightness of that brown background image so it didn't compete with your graphics. The brown background was as bright as the white clouds in the sky you painted. The result of doing that made the entire site look dark. This is a regular problem when you make pre rendered animations. If the sky is supposed to be the lightest element but it's darker than the ground, the ground reads like it glows. It looks wrong and out of place. I also increased the brightness and contrast on the navigation bar and where your name was so people could easily see those elements since they are well important.

For now I would do what Cholden said, model some scenes. Then you can use your favorite scene as the background in your title graphic. I would fix how you presented your models though since that is very easy to do.

The changes I made were to make your colors work better together, but they are still monochromatic. wink.gif

Alex
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Your image sizes are horrifying. Don't take this the wrong way, but nobody needs to see an almost completely black spec-map taking up the entire size of their screen. Keep your images relatively small.

Remember - the website is there to give people a fast preview of your work and your skills - not slap them in the face with 3000x3000 sized image that takes 20 seconds to download. If I can't see pretty much all of your content in 30 seconds or less, I'm already bored.

I would also tone down the number of renders of each image you are showing. Get rid of the "smooth" version and just show a wireframe with a wire that is mostly opaque....two birds with one stone.

Overall your "stuff" isn't too bad...you do have some triangle issues that could be cleaned up, but overall it looks pretty good. Get a few decent looking things on your site and go from there. I know guys who are working at AAA companies right now who had 2 things on their website, so don't be afraid to trim it down with only your best stuff.

Best of luck.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    basic point in addition to what other people have said :

don't run before you can walk.

There's hundreds of entry-level portfolios floating about that make the same mistake : adding a normal and spec map do NOT make next-gen quality graphics unless they're going to add a further level of depth and definition to an already game-worthy diffuse map.

the extra maps on your pieces add nothing to the "final" beauty render, nothing that can't be achieved with a diffuse and a simple backlit light setup (which is what you're rendering with anyway). In fact in a few cases the lumpen artifact-ridden normal maps make it look worse. All you're really doing is showing you know which material slot to add a map to, and this is going to impress no-one.

Until your diffuse maps show a good understanding of definition, detail. colour richness, the qualities of different materials etc etc, don't try and mask them with the extra "next-gen" stuff. Because, not only is it not going to work visually, you're also going to turn off a load of people at GDC that instinctively understand this, and are sick of seeing the same mistake made over and over.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Danr, great post about the next gen issue, exactly what i want sometimes to say to a load of people .
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    Until your diffuse maps show a good understanding of definition, detail. colour richness, the qualities of different materials etc etc, don't try and mask them with the extra "next-gen" stuff. Because, not only is it not going to work visually, you're also going to turn off a load of people at GDC that instinctively understand this, and are sick of seeing the same mistake made over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome statement. I don't know how many people I see at my school who think just because they have excess iterations they have something "high poly", or people who put normal maps everywhere with pisspoor texturing or lighting abilities, thinking they are somehow "next-gen".
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome statement. I don't know how many people I see at my school who think just because they have excess iterations they have something "high poly", or people who put normal maps everywhere with pisspoor texturing or lighting abilities, thinking they are somehow "next-gen".

[/ QUOTE ]yeah i know, the iteration one in particular i get all the time. just because you add meshsmooth with a ton of iterations (and some i know do this for game models...) does not add detail to your model.
    and to the op, you know you can lower the res of your various control maps right? nothing says you have to keep it the full 1024x1024 for the spec map for example.
    edit: like your pump model.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    meshsmooth for game models?! *cringe*

I'd agree with the above stuff, ditch the normal and specularmaps, they're not adding anything. Gives you more space to show models also, and draws more attention to the model work in terms of screenspace.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't look like you put much effort into your work, not being mean this is what came to mind when viewing your work.

A lot of it looks rushed into to just get a decent portfolio with a lot of artwork.

Quality is better than quantity!?