Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for critiques

I have never been really active on any forums but that is changing fast. I have been working on some stuff and I wanted to get some feedback. This file cabinet is 815 Tri's with diffuse, specular and normal maps.
FileCabinet.jpg

Replies

• MD_Dawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This recliner is 830 Tri's. It's unwrapped but no textures yet.

ReclinerGrey.jpg

Here is the reverse angle.

ReclinerGrey_reverseAngl.jpg
  • MD_Dawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This desk is 400 Tri's with diffuse, specular and normal maps.

DeskTurned.jpg
  • MD_Dawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the current state of the environment these pieces have been created for.

PartText_MentalFileRoom512.jpg
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    The top pic of the filing cabinet looks old and rickety from the rust but I would put more color variation in that solid gray color- For example:make the paint on the edges and corners look worn and scraped, or put highlights in to break up that solid color
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    lol what is that freaky door thing?
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with marisa, I think you could go a little further with the wear and tear and color variation in the solid colored areas, on both the file cabinet and the desk.

It's kind of hard to tell what's going on in the environment as it is right now, it looks like there are hands prying the door open..? If so, the hands look a little funky and thin, the volume of the fingers seems unrealistic to me. The wood texture on the floor feels a little too saturated to me right now as well, a little too pinkish. It would help to crit things better if you posted wires, and more views of the enviro and what it's for so we can really tell what's going on.
    The file cabinet and desk are looking pretty good, just needs that one extra push to make them look great. Keep it up, and post some updates.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    also throw some dirt on where their would be normal wear and tear. The handle sections on the desk and the file cabinet would get a lot of hands on em, leaving dirt and gunk.
  • MD_Dawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been crazy busy with paying work so I haven't been able to work on my personal stuff as much as I'd like. I changed the door in this scene. Here is a render of my scene as is now.
    room_sky_NewDoor.jpg
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Looking better, but the sense of scale is off. It's a real subconcious thing, but when you look at it, you can see. For example, judging by how tall that desk is and a person sitting at it, when he stands up, the vault door would be too short for him to get through, and the shelves of binders and books start a bit too short.

Adding some different colours to the spines of the repeating books might help, as at the moment, they're just different shades of grey. It'll help break up the repetition some.

Your geometry is nice looking, though there might be a better way to tile those books and keep it effecient, but the textures lack "cohesion". There's something off with the colour scheme it seems, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what this room is supposed to be by glancing at it. At the moment, it seems like a prop showroom...
  • MD_Dawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Here is the new door untextured.

Door3pointLightWire.jpg