Home Full time/Part time work

Money for your Already Made Character Models

Hi,

I am from Blur Games Inc. (http://www.blurgames.com) A small startup studio. We want to create content packs for other developers before we create games. Here is the deal. I will buy the rights to your character model to render into 2D sprites (with different animations). All I need is the model. I will take care of the rigging and animating and rendering to sprites. I will also give the artist a 50/50 split on any of the content sold. His or her work will be used where other developers can buy the model in 2D sprite sheets for their 2D game.

If anyone is interested, send me screen shot of the model to BlurGames@hotmail.com with a fair price, giving Blur Games Inc the rights to make 2D sprites based off it.

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    just out of interest, why 2d?. surely if you are making a character in 3d , it would sensible to try and sell it as a 3d model also
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    just out of interest, why 2d?. surely if you are making a character in 3d , it would sensible to try and sell it as a 3d model also

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my opinion:
    2D animation looks much better when it´s made from individual renders of 3D model. I was trying to animate a 2D character made in photoshop few years ago, but the quality of it decreased by every single posing.

According to selling a 2D sprite:
    Maybe the want to have the base of the character, so they can make new animations for another money.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think he's suggesting that they're limiting potential sales by making it 2d only.

Also if you're rendering 3d to 2d and you wanted to modify a base, it would make more sense to modify the 3d and render it again rather than modify every frame of animation no?
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think he's suggesting that they're limiting potential sales by making it 2d only.

Also if you're rendering 3d to 2d and you wanted to modify a base, it would make more sense to modify the 3d and render it again rather than modify every frame of animation no?

[/ QUOTE ]

That´s what I was talking about. Like I said, when you have the base (core) of the model, you can make the animation from the renders of the animated model. Maybe my post was not that clear (sorry, I´m from Slovakia), but in fact that´s what I was thinking.
  • BlurGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model will be sold as 2D sprite sheets with your basic animation with ability to buy more animations for that character and different skins as well. I would also sell the model as 3D with animation for various engines (such as torque game engine for example) if the artist gives me the rights to do so. Remember on each sale the artist will receive 50% profit.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it a time-limited offer or is there time enough to finish some models?
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    i don't really see any profit to behad by doing it this way. those who would be interested in 2d sprite content packs (very limited amoutn compared to the 3d market) then they're likely to make them themsleves or use one of the many many free sprite sheets available online.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    mad.gif Well, no offense or anything, but if that's what BlurGames is looking for, then chances are they know how to make a profit off it. Casual games are becoming a huge biz, and they're heavily sprite reliant. There's certainly a market. Whether or not it's as profitable as the 3d Market is another matter. If they've found a profitable niche, then all the power to them.

I donno if we should really be 'commenting' on a job thread simply because we don't think it'll make as much money as something else.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 - Well, I didn´t want to say that, but that´s exactly what I was thinking about...
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    what kind of models are you looking for? style, genre, etc?
  • BlurGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To everyone saying 2D is limiting. It is but there is a lack of it. (minus ripped sprites from previous games). I would also license the model and sell it as 3D with animations for various engines like the torque game engine in a content pack.

As far as what models I am looking for:

I am looking for character models. If they are unique thats ok, they don't have to be your general humanoid character. I am looking for both male and female characters from Zelda style to futuristic action style.

I am also looking for props because these are the most easy to render to 2D sprites and export to torque's 3D format. Props can be cones, street signs, crates, mail boxes, garbage cans, anything. They must be textured.

If your 3D character model is not rigged I can take care of that, as well as the animation and exporting. It must however be textured, preferably with multiple skins (color changes mainly)

Feel free to pm me or contact me via blurgames@hotmail.com with examples of your work. I look forward to hearing from you.

Remember I will pay you a license fee to sell your models in various formats and give you 50% profit on each sale.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was here yesterday I think that I saw an interesting post here. But now it´s lost. Why? Didn´t somebody like what it was saying?
  • crashoveride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crashoveride polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah it was me, if you want more details -> private message, but the global idea is this Mr. buys your characters for the tenth of the bread mouthful that it had promised to you (some dollars).