Home General Discussion

Any anime fans on the boards?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
So I haven't watched anime in a few years and I thought I would get back into watching some. Any suggestions? I'm mostly interested in movies rather than series that span 32 episodes. So far I have seen these, some recently and some a long time ago.

cowboy bebop movie
appleseed movie
princess moninokai movie
galaxcy express 999 movie
akira movie
8 man after series
fist of the north star movie
spirited away movie
ghost in the shell movie
patlabor movie
digimon movie

Replies

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i used to be into anime way back, then they started importing more fantasy based stuff, and that pretty much threw me out of the whole scene.

Now, they're slowly bringing more sci-fi stuff over again, so I've been buying some again.

I just got Elfen Lied and Gantz. Cromartie Highschool is a blast too. Ghost in the Shell: SAC and SAC 2 are pretty cool too.

I'm looking for the boxed set of Magical Shopping Arcade.
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    You should definitely check out the show called Last Exile... 26 Episodes, probably one of my fav.
    Hard to describe, but it rox smile.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Well, if you're really into Anime and just occasionally watch things like me, here are some things you should check out:

Movies:
    Spriggan (very badass)
    Ghost in the Shell 2 (very pretty!)
    Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa (might be confusing if you haven't watched the series. if you watch any series, watch this one or hellsing, its great)
    Ninja Scroll (kinda cool, very violent)

I know you said you're not too interested in series, but here are some anyway (some are pretty short):
    Hellsing (awesome awesome awesome, only 13 eps)
    Trigun (26 episodes)
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (watch this especially if you liked the movie)
    Ghost in the Shell: Second Gig (sequel)

if you're interested in long series, watch Naruto up until the beginning of the filler episodes (like 110 episodes?), or fullmetal alchemist (like 52 episodes)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    full metal panic is also great, nice mech designs.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Not much I can say about full movies, but I'd recommend Metropolis. Not -exactly- anime, but it's damn beautiful and a great story.

Beyond that, I'd recommend Hellsing and Elfen Lied just because of how short they are. Full Metal Panic's Fumoffu series is also pretty short, 9 episodes I think (I don't have my anime with me right now, so I can't check without hitting up Wikipedia or something). All three of those are great, and shouldn't take too long to go through. It's actually easier than sitting through all of the Lord of the Rings films, just because it's not boring as all hell most of the time. >_>

Also, I wouldn't recommend seeing the Full Metal Alchemist movie without watching the series first. It really won't make any sense at all without understanding the history of all the characters.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    steamboy and wings of hommenise are good for the hardcore (like me lol)

for cheap and easy TV stuff, try Dr.Slump!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Also, I wouldn't recommend seeing the Full Metal Alchemist movie without watching the series first. It really won't make any sense at all without understanding the history of all the characters.

[/ QUOTE ]

theres a movie?

I would recommend watching the series too - if you have a spare month or so.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, the movie is pretty damn good. it takes place i think 5 years after the end of the series. kind of makes up for the depressing mood of the series/ending smile.gif
  • SeanDomega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you like great animation with pretty hardcore voilence theres a couple of mangas you might like :

Ninja Scroll
    Streetfighter2
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Howl's Moving Castle - movie
    Castle in the Sky - movie
    Kite - movie
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Ah Right, forgot to mention that I have seen ninja scroll twice and I have also watched the entire series of street fighter v. Seems like stand alone complex is a fan favourite and I believe I can borrow that one from my friend, our company library has ghost in the shell 2 so I'll pick that up next. I'm mostly interested in sci fi with violence, galaxcy express 999 the movie is by far my favourite anime.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo and to a slightly lesser degree the Stand Along Complexes are the only series I've comes across that I've really enjoyed. Its so difficult to find anything thats not 100% derivative or just plain stupid amongst the vast aisles of Anime DVDs. Surely there must be more stylish series with, well written, sensical stories out there. Right?
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    I second the Samurai Champloo series. Im not a big fan of anime, but I really enjoyed watching through these.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I'd recommend FLCL. It's only 6 episodes, so it's around the length of a movie.

Beyond the Clouds was a very pretty movie as well, subject matter might not appeal to everybody though.

Grave of the Fireflies was nice, but it's not sci-fi.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    malcolm: if scifi/violence is your type, definitely check out Spriggan. You won't be disappointed smile.gif

jackablade: have you watched full metal alchemist? The style is much like Cowboy Bebop and it has an awesome storyline. Definitely not geeky-anime style, more epic movie style like Cowboy Bebop and the such.

edit: i second that, samurai champloo is awesome smile.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Gantz, Watch Gantz!

I loved it, really strange, very on edge, Very mature.
    (Strange black sphere teleports people into a room, tells them to go kill stuff, or die)

010d-01s.jpg

And for the complete opposite, I really enjoyed a small series called strawberry marshmellows. yeah.. totally 180 from gantz. haha
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I second Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise. It's an amazing animated feature, great story and a refreshing visual style.

Of course anything made by Ghibli is awesome as well.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    One of my all time favorite (that seems to irk anime fans for some reason) is Akira. I've got the first American release by Orion and then the newer DVD where the dialogue was rerecorded and makes a little more sense.

Memories is great too, by the same director, it's 3 short stories. I don't like the order they present them in, the order I'd watch it is:

Cannon Fodder < kind of Orewellian and humorous
    Stink Bomb < black comedy
    Magnetic Rose < pretty dramatic
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'll second memories (order seemed good to me smile.gif), and add ergo proxy, basilisk (very cool ninja battle stuff) and dead leaves (unconventional to say the least, v funny)
    edit: oh I missed paranoia agent.. very weird but absorbing series, while I'm at it- millenium actress, perfect blue and tokyo godfathers are all awesome movies
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    all the animes already mentionned are great. I could add a few ones which I really enjoyed :

- "Wonderful Days"
    - "Blue Gender"
    - "Now and then here and there" (awesome serie, you've to give it a try. Very dramatic)
    - ".Hack//sign" (and all the series from .hack univer)
    - "RahXephon"
    - "Porco Rosso"
    - "Evangelion" (classic)
    - "Jin-Roh"
    - "Escaflowne"
    - "Armitage"

etc
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely consider Stand Alone Complex. The production values for this series are incredible. Any movie by Miyazaki is going to be a good choice. (Nausica: Valley of the Wind, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky) You've already seen Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, so you're already familiar with the quality of his work.

If you haven't seen it already, Trigun is a very entertaining series. (lots of comedy, pretty compelling story, sci-fi/western setting) Serial Experiments Lain is a complete sci-fi head trip. Memories is a collection of three animated shorts. (much more art-house, but all three have their own appeal) Spriggan is a good film that stands by itself. (no attached TV series) And its balls-to-the-wall action most of the way through. Another solid choice is the Iria: Zeram the Animation OVA. It's a six-part series that you can get on DVD. Very original, with a really unique art style.

I'm also going to go out on a limb...and suggest Tenchi Muyo.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Stand alone complex = great!

I admit, I have a place for girly animes too ( YES ! baby ) like
    Azumanga Dioh, and Ai Yori Aoshi. Both entertaining if you like character development. I'll always hold them in my heart... of rotting HEAVYMETAL rusting death plague with spikes on it.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    The Place Promised in Our Early Days (movie)
    Alternative title:
    Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place

I'm not really a huge anime fan, my close friend is though, and he made me sit down and watch this. Very cool, futuristic, has some violence, but that isn't its focus.

One of my favorite movies of all time!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Movies

Grave of the fireflies (must see)
    Anything by miyazaki (studio Ghibli)
    GITS 1&2
    Theres 3 short movies by Otomo that are pretty good to watch but cant remember the name
    Also a Korean anime (cant remember name again) but it had bikes and a guy with a mask.. thats all I can remember.

Anime Series

Not sure if you'll like it but Ive been watching

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure (awesome)theres a movie knocking around apparently or coming soon

Initial D (bit odd but enjoyable,)

Hikaru No Go (anime based around japanese/chinese board game of Go/wei qi.. )
    The game itself is awesome ! (www.kgs.net)

Bleach not bad pretty funny

Airmaster (pretty good actually)

Gits SAC 1&2

Kenshin

Full metal alchemist
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    BERSERK! BERSERK BERSERK!

For fuck's sake watch the Berserk series, then follow that up and read the manga series. Nothing is more badass. NOTHING.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ QUOTE ]
    BERSERK! BERSERK BERSERK!

For fuck's sake watch the Berserk series, then follow that up and read the manga series. Nothing is more badass. NOTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]

fucking word o/
    and if you're able to understand japanese, then import the ps2 game, it's fucking immense!
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=482&type=wmv&pl=game <<< gameplay video
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=478&type=wmv&pl=game <<< another gameplay video
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=476&type=wmv&pl=game <<< trailer showing the awsomeness that is Guts.