Home Technical Talk

Creating exporting/saving Animation sequences

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
How is this done in max9?

I looked at the tutorial about motion mixer though the tutorial shows Bipeds the actual option is .mix did they change .bip animation files to .mix?

If I wanted to create other animations such as run/walk/die how is this done?
Do I still create a new animation on top of the same time scale?
Couldn't I just export the animation reset model position and start a new animation sequence?

Then ofcourse how to import all to one animation sequence, though I am sure this is the reason for the motion mixer?

New to the whole animation sequence export/import process as you can see, so be easy on me.

Any help is very apprechiated.
Share the knowledge if you have it makes the world go round. smile.gif

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    what do you want to export your motions into? i have never heard of any apps except for character studio, that deal with bip-files.
    fbx seems the preferred format for transferring animations across apps. if you do not need to keep the skeletal animation, you might export one mesh per frame and assemble that in the blendshape/morph tool of your target app again. there are scripts which can do this.

if you want to generate a bip from within the mixer, you have to bake the animation/blend of different animations into a "flattened" sequence (compute mixdown). it's explained in the help files.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am creating small quick DS animations though to use mixer I need to export .bip files to transition each animation between eachother. Exporting a .bip is what I am trying to figure out.

Am I wrong to approach the animation sequences in this fashion?

Should I just have a 1000 frame animation length and just create each animation between frames?

Who should I ask for help on the subject matter?

Thanx thomasp for the fbx information might come in handy later on. Though the tutorial doesn't show any information about exporting a .bip file only importing one, which I find to be rediculous one without the other?
    Maybe it's me I am looking for .bip / exporting ect. in the search bar but nothings coming up on how to export a .bip file.

Help the dumb guy plz.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You "save" a bip file from the Biped rollout, but first you should "compute mixdown" as described above. You don't export a bip file in any case, though.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I redid everything....If you would still like to help that's fine and always appreciated.

ok folks found out why I couldn't save a .bip file.

This:
    crap121mz4.jpg

So anyone having a similar problem or a solution as to why this may happen such as a plug-in that isn't compatible ect.?

Non-collapsed stack? speaking of which how do I collapse the stack and keep my skin weight settings on a biped?

Thanks so far guys, I am almost there.

EDIT: I do not have figure mode on or anything else I just select the biped and go to save and that happens I tried the same process on max 8 and it was fine, but this work needs to be done on 9.=/

To clearify some things I have stopped creating new animations I have an idle animation only and need to create about 4 more, though I do not know if I am to just continue on the same Scene + trackbar?

This is why I wanted to "save" a .bip to keep each animation sequence loop seperate. Bascially I dont know what I am doing but so far I think I am on the right track.

Is it one.. two.. skip a few.. frames.. new animation?