Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Matte work

sevenfingers
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sevenfingers polycounter lvl 18
Howdy,

I was recently hired to do an illustration where the top of a Swedish restaurant flew off. Deadline was crazy short as usual; and they wanted it delivered on a white background.

Anyways, I got permission to work further on it for portfolio use.

Any comments/crits appreciated.

Lots of Photoshoping involved, as well as camera mapping and other dirty tricks.

Final picture (if you guys don't find any glaring errors):

final_plate.jpg

Source-plate:

source_plate.jpg

Cheers!

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I'm having trouble placing it in the foreground. WhenI look at the painting I feel like the floating part should be behind the rotunda w/ gazebo on top or whatever it is.

Looking at the real photo, it's obvious where that piece fits. I think what would make it fit better in the painting, is if you had some left over bit from the front bit of roof that connets, with the little doodads on top. . . wow I don't think any of what I just said made sense. So if you don't get it I'll try and draw it on later.
  • sevenfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I sort of agree. Never really got the rotunda part to match well with the part (t looks better without it). But, since it's actually there in real life... I couldn't really do without it.

I tried the partly disconnected top part, but it looked iffy.

(if you do have the spare time, paint-overs are of course appreciated smile.gif)
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I think you need clear open sky between the grounded building and the detatched bit, just to reinforce that it's flying. You might also have a jagged edge where the building used to be attached, then the viewer could look at the edge on one bit, the edge on the other bit and see how they match up (oh! they used to be attached). With the straight line separation it looks almost like it's being lowered in for installation.
  • sevenfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edited the first picture, changed the mode of the smoke to multiply in the back, and color-corrected the rotunda somewhat.

Good suggestion with the jagged edges; doubt I'll have the time to adress such a big change though (will keep it in mind if I end up with a project like this again).

The lowered for installation thing is not all bad; the pitch for the ad was that you could remodel the place to your liking (hiring only parts of the building etc).

Anyways, thanks for the crits. It's easy to go blind after a while.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    HOORAY FOR CRAPPY COMPS!

Blah2.jpg

something like that in order to tie it into the building it just got pulled off of.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    it looks like it broke apart way too cleanly to me. I would think the edges of the buildings would be really messed up with planks sticking out, etc.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I don't understand where the part of the building broke off because it doesn't seem like it can rest on the building after you added that element. The other thing that seems to be missing is dust and debris. If that part of the building is getting torn away what is the force doing it? I think it would be wind, but there isn't enough of it to look real. I think the matching, and painting is good and fits in, but it is just missing what is making the building tear apart, more dust, I would assume there would be some kind of motion blur in there. Nice work though.

Here is a quick paint over of what I mean.

fp_over.jpg
    Alex
  • sevenfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't understand where the part of the building broke off because it doesn't seem like it can rest on the building after you added that element.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I don't get this... exactly... are you talking about some perspective mismatch? I matched up the stuff in max, so it shouldn't be any major disrepancy.

Nice paintover though, the art-director was pretty specific on the dust/debris, and wanted it low-key.
    That looks a lot better though, I might go in and change that for my folio.

As far as forces, etc etc... It wasn't really meant to illustrate something like that. The copy went something like this "Now you can rent any part of Flustret". So, they wanted to illustrate that you could mix and match... or something. heh smile.gif

Nice edit though, really nice.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    that looks cool sage but if you consider its a brief from the hotel owners for an ad I doubt they'd be happy with the message 'dont want part of our service? rip it to shreds with tornado force!'
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Sevenfingers in your original edit because the two elements are on top of each other it seemed wierd and I didn't understand the intention. From the rest of the information I gather they are doing like a before and after shot, and trying to show that even though they lost their roof they moved on strong. At any rate there is not much you can do when the clients wants something specific even if it's strange. Very nice job considering the limiting message you had to portray.

Heh... I should have read the post more carefully. wink.gif

Alex
  • edgeloop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Swedish mode]ööhhh...flurran? Det var som fan![/swedish mode]

Just recognized the building that's all...move along now =)